This Houdini digital asset (.hda) generates a wide range of swords and knives as well as certain types of spears or polearms based on user parameters.
The main purpose of this asset is to combine all the steps involved in creating a sword model into one procedural asset.
I have released a new version which includes new features, UI improvements and an example project:
- Created an example project using PDG/TOPS which allows users to automate the generation of a vast amount of variations and render them to contact sheet.
- More subdivision friendly topology with built in crease controls and better bevels
- Improved Clipped point and a false edge options which enable the modelling of a greater range of knives(for example Bowie knife)
- Improved the usability of many parameters to make them resolution independent, so the overall polygon density can be adjusted at any time in the process.
The new version requires any version of Houdini 18 or later to run. It works with any license type including the free apprentice license. For Houdini 17 the older version is still available.
This .hda is not black-boxed to allow modification and learning from the internals of the asset.
In the new version the topology is greatly improved and every effort has been create a robust procedural mode however. Due to the extreme amount of variations that can be generated and many user controlled parameters results of this asset may vary in quality. Additionally manual editing may still be required for ideal production ready topology and UVs.
I will be improving on this asset over time and adding more features.
Any questions, feedback or bugs let me know.
Requires Houdini 18 preferably build .460 or later
• Replaced the method for modeling the clipped tip with a method that produces better topology and added an
option for a false edge. Added a ramp parameter to control the shape of the false edge. The false edge is where
the back of an otherwise single edge blade is sharpened towards the tip, for example a Bowie knife.
• Replaced a most of the bevel nodes with an asset that does not create ngons at the ends of the bevels but
detects them and splits them into two quads. Now that the topology is better I have added another output for a
crease and subdivision mesh with multiple crease parameters for different edges. This can useful for generating
a higher poly model.
• Many parameters which controlled modeling operations over a portion of the blade were previously dependent
on the Blade polycount parameter, if this changed they would need to be readjusted. These are now based on
the proportion of the sword they affect from 0 to 1, they will affect the same section and adapt to the level of
detail. Changed Ricasso extents, Fuller section and Wavy section to 0-1 Float sliders.
• Added a feature to scale the fuller in proportion to the width of the blade, added a multiplier to control this.
• Added a PDG example scene which can be used to generate a large number of variations
General Improvements and UI Improvements
• Added an option to bypass removal of hidden faces using booleans. Previously this was always on but booleans
are often unreliable.
• Changed fuller inset to use transform node to scale the extruded part rather than using a fiddly absolute
distance of the extrude node.
• Reorganised export parameters and changed from a dropdown menu to multiple outputs. So instead of a
dropdown menu there are three outputs: The normal mesh, The subdivision/crease mesh and the collider.
• Re-organised parameters to aid usability. Changed the controls for the crossection to sliders from simple values
in boxes, so it's clear what the normal range is.
• Added more help tooltips for new features and updated some old ones.
• I had a number of issues with polybevels producing bad geometry or causing crashes. To avoid these issues
updated to build .460 or later.
• Fixed bad bevels on Grip, bad group propagation and an issue with grips smoothing relating to to booleans on
• Fixed problems with Fuller bevels and its interaction with the Ricasso
• For some reason the new asset automatically used the new bend sop which caused the orientation to be wrong,
Please report bugs, give feedback or ask questions. Contact me via email or my artstation page
email: email@example.com https://www.artstation.com/ffd