Environment Artist - UK
Cloud Imperium Games is looking for Environment Artists with experience working in high-poly modular environments. Our artists are responsible for working closely with designers in laying out and finishing geo, props, materials, and textures.
The ideal candidate has a strong understanding of environment asset creation and modular kit-based construction methodologies. They understand all phases of environment creation from block-out through lighting. They work well and communicate with designers and other disciplines in a collaborative team oriented development process.
Skills & Requirements
Sample pictures or portfolio link, which shows sample work are necessary.
Portfolio or demo reel should demonstrate:
- Exceptional modeling skills. Great assets examples using custom normal workflow or high to low poly baking
- Strong understanding of a PBR workflow
- Examples of building realistic shader libraries
- Ability to create game ready assets, that work well within the given technical limitations
- Very strong texturing skills and excellent knowledge of Adobe Photoshop
- Keen eye on detail and realism
- A strong sense for composition, color and light
- At least average drawing/painting skills
- Creating game ready models of environmental objects (architectural building sets, organic’s, etc)
- Working in the editor to build out levels and environments
- Creating efficient UV layouts that work well within the engine/platform constrains
- Creating realistic PBR shaders
- Work closely with Level Lead, and Lead Environment Artist
- Work closely together with the Level Design department
- Work independently on asset sets and oversee level art
- Thorough knowledge of the game development process.
- Previous experience creating high quality environments for AAA games.
- Strong working knowledge of 3DS Max and Photoshop, as well as, experience in using editors to lay out environments.
- Strong knowledge of Substance / Quixel packages
- Experience creating environments using modular systems.
- An Understanding of effective asset creation and optimization.
- Experience applying and tweaking shaders.
- A keen eye for spatial composition and building believable scenes.
- Excellent sense of form, mass and volume.
- Passion for pushing the state of the art in asset fidelity and production techniques.
- High degree of self-motivation and initiative.
- International travel may be required as part of the role.
- Experience with Cry Engine.
- Hard surface modeling experience.
- Experience using ZBrush or Mudbox for organic shapes.
- Knowledge and/or experience with PBR
- Experience with programmatic and/or parametric environment generation tools.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- An avid gamer.
- Experience in architecture, interior or industrial design.
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
About the Company
Cloud Imperium Games is a new kind of independent studio dedicated to delivering AAAexperiences outside the established publisher system, Founded by Chris Roberts, creator of the best selling Wing Commander and Freelancer series, Cloud Imperium is currently developing Star Citizen, a record-shattering crowd funded title that combines classic space sim gameplay with Hollywood-caliber visuals
Cloud Imperium aims to pave new ground in game development by sharing the process with the players. Where game development was once hidden, Cloud Imperium has opted to share the process with those backing Star Citizen. Supporters come to know the team and follow them every step of the way as the game created. The community is closely engaged and their feedback Is considered in all aspects of game development, avoiding standard publicity to put Roberts’ epic vision directly in players’ hands.
Cloud Imperium Games Corporation was founded in April 2012 by renowned game developer Chris Roberts (Wing Commander, Freelancer, Privateer) and his business partner and long-time international media attorney Ortwin Freyermuth. Under Roberts leadership using his long-standing relationships in the game space, Cloud Imperium quickly assembled a top tier development team for the creation of art assets, story elements, and an extensive prototype for its first game Star Citizen. Star Citizen is being marketed and launched via robertsspaceindustries.com.
Cloud Imperium has studios in Los Angeles, California ; Austin, Texas ; Manchester, UK and Frankfurt, Germany.