Level 4 - Lighting Artist
- Creates mood through lighting of levels and cinematics that is consistent with art direction and gameplay needs.
- Establishes strong color palettes, value structures and compositions through lighting.
- Adjusts post effects for level including exposure, color grading, fog, bloom, etc.
- Communicates with level art and design to ensure lighting is achieving art and gameplay goals.
- Works with engineers and tech art to improve tools and workflows.
- Maintain visual continuity and performance throughout the game.
- Mentor other artists on the team.
- Provide timely and clear feedback to external partners on the lighting of levels.
*This job description outlines primary duties and requirements and is not intended to identify all tasks that may be performed; individuals occupying the position may be required to perform other duties. The company may modify job duties from time to time, either in practice or in writing.
Skills & Requirements
- A minimum of 5+ years of experience as a lighter in the games industry or related positions and fields.
- Exceptional eye for color, value and composition expressed through lighting.
- Experience lighting levels for games and dealing with the gameplay requirements.
- Solid understanding of PBR rendering and the interaction between materials and lighting
- Understanding of real-world lighting values and exposure, and how they affect an image.
- Experience using a real-time lighting engine like Unreal, Unity, Frostbite, etc.
- Ability to follow concept/reference and the ability to work within a wide range of styles with minimal direction.
- Is self-motivated and can work through and solve problems.
- Able to manage and organize work in order to meet deadlines.
- Interested in the study and expression of light through photography or painting is a plus.
- Experience using an industry standard renderer like Arnold, Renderman, V-ray, Octane, Mitsuba, etc. is a plus.
We are an equal opportunity employer valuing diversity…celebrating strengths.
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
About the Company
Founded in 1998, Retro Studios is a wholly owned subsidiary of Nintendo Company, Ltd. Retro is a state-of-the-art game development studio, working in conjunction with Nintendo to bring award-winning games to Nintendo's cutting-edge next-generation platforms. Retro Studios is in beautiful Austin, Texas. With rolling hills, scenic waterways, abundant wildlife, vibrant music and film scenes, and a laid-back cosmopolitan culture, Austin is a dynamic city with an excellent quality of life. Austin's sunny weather also supports a great range of outdoor activities, providing plenty of venues for top-notch game developers to recharge and unwind.