3D Animator, Overwatch 2
Blizzard Entertainment’s Overwatch team seeks an animator ready to step up and breathe life into a menagerie of heroes for our new gaming universe. Join the team creating Blizzard’s first first-person shooter (FPS) game and one of the most highly anticipated game launches in our history.
Norman McLaren famously said, “animation is not the art of drawings that move but the art of movements that are drawn.” Our character animators readily agree. Done right, movement communicates a character’s purpose, thoughts, and emotions. Consider the graceful yet deadly dance of a demon hunter, pirouetting through the hordes of hell, or the belly-busting laughter from a drunken dwarf as he topples from his stool. Despite wildly different personalities, each character and their story are brought to life through the imagination and skills of a talented animator.
An animator like you…Your skills as an artist, technician, and gamer will drive you forward into the thick of development. Exceptional understanding of traditional and 3D animation techniques will drive the creative engine that will bring a bevy of new heroes, villains, and creatures to life. Your technical skills and ability to problem solve will come in handy as you work closely with gameplay engineers to develop the technology that powers your creations. As a gamer you’ll have a very close relationship with the game designers where you’ll create a perfect marriage of design and animation, resulting in a truly phenomenal game play experience.
In short, you’ll be part of a close-knit, collaborative community of artists, engineers and designers whose sole goal is to make a truly immersive game experience.
If you’re ready to tackle the challenge of helping realize the next epic Blizzard title, we want to hear from you!
Skills & Requirements
- Develop, maintain and create animations for real time game assets.
- Assist designers and engineers with gameplay prototypes.
- Work with lead animator to ensure timely completion of character assets at the desired quality bar.
- Serve as an active participant in team art discussions, critiques and reviews.
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in game development animating characters using Maya or equivalent 3D program
- Exceptional skill in animating the human bipedal figure as well as other organic forms.
- Strong understanding of traditional animation principles and how they can be used to enhance gameplay
- Self-motivation, good communication skills, and a great team-player attitude
- Able to work creatively as part of a large or small group
- Proven problem-solving / prototyping ability
- Able to effectively collaborate with game designers and programmers
- Understanding of the visual style of Blizzard games and a passion to push it to the next level
- A passion for video games
- Have shipped an AAA PC or console title as a character animator
- Experience in FX and particle animation
- Outstanding 2D animation skills
- Cinematic or television animation experience
- Skill in one of more related disciplines – illustration, modeling, rigging or technical art
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
To Apply, please visit our website here:
- Cover Letter
- Portfolio and / or reel demonstrating relevant artistic skills required (PDF Format Preferred)
- Only online artwork submissions will be accepted (e.g. website, blog or online album)
- Must be willing to complete an art test if requested to do so
About the Company
Blizzard Entertainment has been rated by Fortune as one of the "Best Places to Work" for several years running (and our ranking continues to rise!). We are a community of 4000 global employees who are passionate about not only gaming, but entertainment and the technology that drives our users experience. Our goal is to delight our customers by never settling for anything but the highest quality and providing worlds filled with creativity and adventure around every corner. You are bright, engaging, eager to learn and ready to make an impact. We've been waiting for you!
Blizzard Entertainment is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law, and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.