After painting a lot of fur throughout the years I finally made an effort to put what I've learned into a set of brushes that would help both me and others get decent results down on the page quickly and remove some of the tedium. As such, I've included an example of how they helped my own work after I made to show the impact they had. Hopefully you'll find them useful too!
This pack contains 28 custom made brushes to aid in painting fur.
- Use reference for a better understanding of how the fur you're trying to achieve actually looks and for more accurate colours. Don't guess!
- The look and length of fur changes depending what part of the body you're trying to render. Don't stick to just one of the brushes in the set and expect miracles. They are designed to work together so experiment with them all. To help with this, I have named all the brushes according to what I originally created them to render.
- The brushes make use of the 'direction' setting under Shape Dynamics>Angle Jitter in brush settings. This will make different marks depending which way the brush stroke is performed. If you don't like working with the brushes as they are set then feel free to tweak it to a personal comfort level or disable it altogether.
- Similarly a few of the brushes make use of the Colour Dynamics settings to create a mottled effect or add noise to the brush. Increasing or decreasing the brightness jitter setting will adjust how dramatic this effect is.
- These brushes are confirmed working in Clip Studio Paint. However due to differences in brush setting options they may not perform optimally or require a few tweaks.