HairTG-Cards re-imagines hair card authoring with compelling and 100% procedural texturing and modeling tools within Substance 3D hosts.
Create hair textures directly in Substance 3D Painter from the many available design presets. Modify hair texture properties in real time in Painter and see the result in-context, on the hair model within your 3D scene.
HairTG-Cards also enables to create hair card based 3D hair models within Substance 3D Stager using procedural geometry generation tools.
A Discord server is available for questions and support!
Substance 3D Painter 7.4 / 2021 or compatible version for texturing, Substance 3D Stager 1.1.2 or compatible version for modeling.
The modeling and texturing tools are independent. It is also possible to use the modeling tools partially and complete the model into another software.
Texturing in Substance 3D Painter
- Procedural PBR hair/fur texture generation for hair cards in Substance 3D Painter with direct visualization on the 3D model.
- Modular design and centralized control: design hair textures independently and control their main properties from a centralized Controller enabling to change various properties to all the hair textures at once such as thickness, length, waving etc. all this with direct visualization on the 3D hair model within Painter.
- Supported PBR maps: Opacity, ID, Depth (Height/Displacement), Color, Flow (Direction), Anisotropy Angle and Level, Normal, Ambient Occlusion, Roughness, Root and Tip.
- Dozens of artist-designed texture presets ready to be used and modified through parameters.
- Many parameters to procedurally generate hair textures including hair thickness, length, shape, density, waving, per-hair opacity handling, combing, layering, multiple hair grouping levels, clumping, braid/rope designs and many more.
- Automated variation support enabling to obtain hundreds of unique designs by just moving a slider.
- Extensive coloring modes including shadowing modes, tint modes in full and at root/tip, color presets, automatic color palettes and Blend Maps.
- Morphing support enabling to morph a design into one another, also usable to generate variations.
Modeling in Substance 3D Stager
- Procedural hair card 3D model generation in supporting .sbsm Substance 3D Model hosts (Substance 3D Stager).
- Enables generation of complex hair/fur models using a modular approach. Generates groups of cards with independent properties which, when assembled, produce a complete hair or fur model.
- Multiple card distribution options with two types of configurable virtual supports.
- Variation parameters enabling to quickly generate alternate variations of the models.
- Smart mirroring enabling to lay out cards on both sides of the head simultaneously, varying the distributions so they do not look similar.
- Multiple card shaping capabilities such as multi-location directional bending, twist, spiral.
- Ability to distort cards along their width.
- Selectable number of geometry subdivisions along the card’s width and length.
- UV assignment per card type.
- Several card types per card group, each to be UVed independently.
Pro components for Substance 3D Designer (HairTG-Cards Pro only)
- Export design data from Painter and use them in Designer to create materials covering multiple designs, controlling all textures of a full hair model in any supporting Substance 3D host (such as Stager).
- Create custom design presets and Morph Shapes in Designer.
- Create your own texture graphs in Designer with the ability to control multiple textures at once from a Controller node.
HairTG-Cards Mini (Personal): this is a try-out, non-commercial edition, with limitations such as texture resolution at 512x512, texturing tools only (no modeling) with a selection of parameters. However this is a great edition to start with, you'll see how things work overall and can even make pretty cool hair with it! It comes with a dedicated tutorial video. HairTG-Cards Mini is included in the regular and Pro editions.
HairTG-Cards (Personal/Indie): the regular HairTG-Cards edition is for Artists who wish to create hair or fur works. It contains the full texturing and modeling tools for Substance 3D Painter and Stager, 40 artist-designed texture presets, each of them with at least 2 morph shapes and hundreds of possible random variations, global control over multiple textures within a texture set etc.
HairTG-Cards Pro (Indie/Studio): this edition is for Technical Artists who wish to go further with the tool. It has the same content as the regular edition plus Substance 3D Designer specific content. This edition enables to export texture design data from Painter and use them in Designer to make hair/fur materials covering whole texture sets, which can then be used into other Substance 3D hosts such as Stager. Also contains several components for Designer to make hair texture graphs and Morph Shapes.
- SBSARs for Substance 3D Painter.
- Tutorial video.
HairTG-Cards Mini is also included in the regular and Pro editions below, you may use it to learn the basis of the tool if you prefer as it is simpler and has a dedicated tutorial. You may also start directly with the regular HairTG-Cards tutorial, it's up to you!
- SBSARs for Substance 3D Painter and SBSMs for Substance 3D Stager.
- 6 manuals: Texturing/Modeling manuals and Reference manuals.
- Tutorial videos (about 4h in total).
- Same content as the regular HairTG-Cards edition.
- Components for Substance 3D Designer including SBS files (except the hair generators which are SBSAR only). Specific tutorial videos.
Licenses are single seat only. You cannot resell or distribute the package or some of its content into a form that would expose it to reuse or embed them into your own components. In particular you cannot share Painter projects or Smart Materials made using SBSARs from this package unless users have an appropriate license of this product.
HairTG-Cards Mini, non-commercial: for personal use (not companies), the product may be used for non-commercial projects only.
HairTG-Cards Personal, non-commercial: for personal use (not companies), the product may be used for non-commercial projects only.
HairTG-Cards Indie, commercial: the tool and generated textures may be used for commercial projects, for individuals, schools or companies with revenue below USD $100K a year.
HairTG-Cards Pro Indie, commercial: the tool and generated textures may be used for commercial projects, for individuals, schools or companies with revenue below USD $100K a year.
HairTG-Cards Pro Studio, commercial: the tool and generated textures may be used for commercial projects, for individuals, schools or companies with revenue above USD $100K a year.
HairTG-Cards Mini is now free! It has the main hair material creation parameters but is limited to 512x512 resolution, non-commercial license and does not have all the hair presets of the other variants. You can now easily test the workflow in Painter and see whether it fits you. No other change in this release.
New in v1.1.1:
Various small improvements in particular for very thick hair, hair thickness presets etc. (please check the Release Notes in package for details).
New in v1.1:
- 26 new parametric design presets, bringing the total amount of presets to 66.
- Added the HairTG-Cards Smart Material with a default layer structure to fasten working with HairTG-Cards: simply drag & drop the HairTG-Cards Smart Material in your layer stack and start working!
- Fixed a user channel assignment issue in the HairTG-Cards template regarding the ID map (export settings).
If you already have a previous version of HairTG-Cards 1.0 installed, copy the new assets (template, smart-materials and the sbsars in the HairTG-Cards folder) from the package into your Painter asset folder (usually C:\Users\<user>\Documents\Adobe\Adobe Substance 3D Painter\assets), overwriting the existing ones.