Dermis is a skin-focused multi-level SSS shader for Blender, inspired by Anders Langland’s multi-level SSS shader for Arnold 4. It affords the user more nuanced and intuitive control over skin tones and a more overall natural look to scattering colour and depth, as well as being more physically realistic (real skin can also be broken down into 3 "layers" that contribute differently to SSS).
The shader is built with Cycles in mind, but works for Eevee too - although it might be overkill! It's also built with scans in mind, both whole models and textures from sites like texturing.xyz. All scans used in the images showcased on this product are from the 3D Scan Store: https://www.3dscanstore.com
Product download contains .blend file with the material included and PDF documentation.
The different product tiers represent the possibility for a move of good faith on your part - you have no legal obligation to pay extra if you're using Dermis as a business, but if you feel my work deserves it, I ask you to pay a higher fee, as a business may distribute the product to many people, or use it considerably more than a single person. In return, you'll receive preferential product support from me, should you need it. Again, you have no legal obligation to pay more than the base $15, it is simply a gesture of good faith. All three price levels deliver the same product.
If you pay the higher fee, and need support, please quote your BlenderMarket sale ID and mention that you paid for one of the business tiers when you email me or send me a message here.
Version 1.2 release:
- Added Cycles X version, with support for new SSS IOR and Anisotropy inputs
- Added "Dermis Lobe" material to original Cycles and Cycles X, which is a version of Dermis that is just SSS shaders, and just the SSS lobe, so that Dermis SSS can be added to custom materials/node groups
- Updated the manual, with more in-depth info on how to use version 1.1 and the new Cycles X inputs
- Updated Dermis to use Principled BSDF's Emission inputs and Alpha input
Version 1.1 release:
- Integrated the colour management nodes for the skin tone inputs into the shader itself, making things a lot neater.
- Added colour outputs from the shader for lookdev of the skin tone layers.