Senior VFX Artist
SENIOR VFX ARTIST - Brighton, UK
join a passionate and experienced team who are looking to expand the boundaries of visual effects
Who We Are:
Hangar 13 is the internal 2K development studio behind the award-winning Mafia III. The studio is comprised of industry veterans drawn from a diverse range of studios, who have collectively shipped hundreds of titles across a wide variety of genres. Though we hail from all over the world, and our backgrounds are wildly different, one thing binds us all together – the belief that “Every Player’s Story is Unique.”
Hangar 13 is based in four locations: Novato (California), Brighton (UK), and Brno & Prague (Czech Republic). We are currently hard at work on our next AAA titles.
This role is based at our Brighton location, who partner with the other Hangar 13 sites to develop all of our games as one global team. Hangar 13’s Brighton location provides the opportunity to work on big-budget, AAA console and PC games in the coolest city in the UK!
What We Need:
We are looking for a VFX master of craft to deliver diverse and rich content, filling our worlds with life and creating rewarding gameplay. Our new bespoke technology brings a myriad of possibilities that await your skill and imagination. Join a passionate and experienced team who are looking to expand capacity and push the boundaries of possibility.
What You Will Do:
- Master newly created bespoke tools and pipelines
- Drive content within the scope outlined by the Lead or Art Director
- Create textures for VFX assets
- Implement VFX as gameplay signs and feedback
- Work within a team to bring a sense of life to otherwise static worlds
- Work autonomously with minimal feedback and the ability to self-critique
- Craft fantastical effects, yet still be able to suspend disbelief
Skills & Requirements
Who We Think Will Be a Great Fit:
You’re passionate about advancing your skills, pushing the boundaries of what effects can do in games, and always on the hunt for new VFX techniques. You like mathematics, love to solve logic problems and when you encounter a challenge you persevere like a terrier until you find a solution. And you always find a solution.
- VFX artist with 5 + years of experience in the games or film industry
- Experience writing node-based systems
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of visual effect terminology and techniques
- Good sense of timing and weight with regard to effects
- Relevant 2D and 3D software experience; Photoshop, After Effects, Houdini, 3DS0Max
- An eye for recreating natural phenomena
- Comfortable with Mathematical and node-based systems
- A passion for video games
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
About the Company
Let's talk some truth: Making games is hard. It's a collision of art and technology that’s about as predictable as a tornado. There's no secret formula, no foolproof blueprint—but it certainly helps to have a reason for making games in the first place. "Every Player's Story is Unique." At Hangar 13, that's why we make games. We’re currently creating an intense action game set in an immersive world and with a strong narrative, but player agency is at the heart of everything we do. We want to give players the freedom to choose how to overcome challenges and make meaningful decisions that shape the world and characters around them.
Hangar 13 is the newest 2K development studio. We’re focused on creating AAA games for console and PC. The studio is comprised of industry veterans drawn from a diverse range of studios, who have collectively shipped hundreds of titles across a wide variety of genres. We are located just thirty minutes north of San Francisco and in production on our first title, Mafia III, available October 7, 2016. We’re currently building our own proprietary engine and tools in service of our next AAA title, still unannounced.