Senior Outsourcing Artist
Are you seeing double? Nope! Insomniac is also looking for Senior Level artists in our Outsourcing group as well. These artists are responsible for integrating art assets from external vendors who will create assets to be used by the environment art team and supplying actionable feedback on the art creation process during development. Read on!
Skills & Requirements
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Creates comprehensive briefs, best practice documentation and OS packages to send to external vendors, with guidance from the Outsourcing (OS) Manager, and the Outsourcing (OS) Project Manager.
- Provides actionable feedback to vendors at key stages of asset creation: Low poly, high poly/sculpt, material bake and final delivery phases.
- Helps direct vendors work on multiple asset types including but not limited to hard surface, organic, vegetation, vehicles, materials and graphic design, under guidance and direction from the OS Manager, OS Project Manager, Art Director, and Lead Artists.
- Optimizes and polishes assets after external delivery including UVs, baking, material and texture adjustments and optimization.
- Works closely with environment artists to ensure Greymesh models, reference images are provided for all OS work with external partners.
- Has intricate knowledge of art tools and best practices for building environments including Maya/Max, Substance Designer, Photoshop, Zbrush, xNormal
- Maintains consistent style under the direction of the Art Director and Lead Artists.
- Other duties may be assigned.
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree (B.A) from a four-year college or university in Computer Art, Illustration, Game Design or Product Design, or similar; or five to seven years related experience and/or training; and/or combination of education and experience.
- Strong skills in modeling, sculpting, baking and UV layout in Maya, Max, or equivalent.
- Strong skills in texture and material creation with Photoshop, Substance Painter, Substance Designer.
- Experience with ZBrush or other sculpting generating software a plus.
- Prior experience working with external vendors is preferred and a plus.
Other Skills: Strong foundational skills, including composition, design, and color theory. Proficient traditional painting skills and ability to create models and shaders for a range of art directions, from photorealistic to stylized. Ability to meet deadlines under tight schedules. Willingness to receive direction and work closely with a team.
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
If this sounds like the opportunity that you have been looking for, we’d like to hear from you. Please use the link https://insomniac.games and apply directly to the role on our careers page. Thanks!
About the Company
Insomniac Games has created and developed award-winning video game franchises across multiple platforms for 25 years, selling more than 70 million games along the way. We’re best known for developing the PlayStation®4 smash-hit, Marvel's Spider-Man (2018), and creating iconic PlayStation franchises such as Spyro the Dragon (1998), Ratchet & Clank (2002) and Resistance (2005). With studios in Burbank, Calif. and Durham, NC, Insomniac has earned 20 local, regional, state and national awards for our workplace culture. You can learn more about us at https://insomniac.games.