Sr Magic Concept Artist - Contract/Temporary
For decades, Wizards of the Coast has connected people worldwide through play and imagination, with core games that define their genres - Magic: The Gathering® and Dungeons & Dragons®. We are creating new ways to enjoy Magic as the company grows. And that’s where you come in.
The Senior Magic Concept Artist will be our partner in new character design, adding to our roster of Planeswalkers, and create orthographics of existing characters to ensure consistency as our Franchise grows. This contract role on the Magic Franchise team will collaborate with art directors, concept artists, and narrative designers to create new characters to bring joy to millions of fans and to create visual reference materials to support partners both internal and external.
A DAY IN THE LIFE AS A SR CONCEPT ARTIST
- Create concept art of incredible new Planeswalkers and story elements for the Magic Franchise
- Work collaboratively to pre-visualize and storyboard new narrative directions
- Create reference materials of characters and their powers for other creative to work from
Skills & Requirements
WHAT YOU’LL BRING
- 5+ years of Commercial concept art experience, ideally in a AAA gaming or entertainment environment
- Demonstrable track record of successful, audience-focused, concept art
Ideal Knowledge, Skills, and Characteristics:
- Ability to identify and communicate the main visual features of existing subject matter
- Excellence in creating the following subject matter: Diverse and Fantastical Characters, Creatures, and Effects (ability to work with motion is a plus).
- Strong portfolio showing examples of the above types of work
- Ability to rapidly generate clear drawings and paintings
- Ability to create artwork in multiple styles
- A knowledge of where Magic has been and a passion to build where it is going!
- Understanding of the unique needs driven by multiple media expressions
- A hunger for learning and iterating with new tools, on new projects, and for new audiences
- A self-starter that loves to work collaboratively
- Ability to work and communicate effectively with diverse groups of people
- A healthy relationship with giving and receiving feedback
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- Relentless attention to detail
- High skill in Adobe Photoshop
- Additional proficiency in other Adobe Creative Suite products (After Effects, Illustrator), 3d software, MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook) is highly desirable
How to Apply
Please apply via our company website here!
About the Company
Our Mission at Wizards of the Coast is to bring people together through their shared love of games. Everything we do starts with this Mission. We are the leader in entertaining the lifestyle gamer, and the world’s largest publisher of adventure games, including Magic: The Gathering and Dungeons & Dragons.
Our team is driven by our Values: Inclusivity, Community, Collaboration, Excellence, Empowerment, Stewardship and most of all, fun! We have a creative, fast-paced, atmosphere with opportunities for professional growth and development. Fantastic art work and great storytelling bring the new worlds we create to life. If you’ve ever dreamed about creating new games or adventures for consumers, Wizards is for you. To learn more about Wizards of the Coast, go to www.wizards.com.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.