Senior Character Artist
343 Industries has one single mission: Build great HALO experiences. 343 Industries, part of Microsoft Studios, is home to the game industries top talent and we are dedicated to the HALO universe. We build the stories, the worlds, and the gameplay that make HALO what it is today. In addition, we need exceptional people to help us achieve that goal.
343 has an incredible opportunity for a motivated and highly experienced Senior Character Artist.
Candidates should have extensive experience working with modeling/sculpting tools to create Organic and Hard-Surface Characters. This is a creative role for an artist with a great eye for form, shape language, silhouette and materials. This role requires a strong sense of design as well as the ability to execute the highest-quality art. This candidate is expected to be extremely collaborative with developers and artist and must be effective in communicating and incorporating feedback. This role will work closely with Lead Character Artists, Technical Artist, Animators and Game Designers. The ideal candidate must be highly effective and positive in ambiguous situations, able to self-motivate to high performance, manage your time effectively and react quickly to changing requirements.
- Create top-quality character-related models and textures to set the quality bar for our project.
- Assist with Tech Art and Engineering in planning and implementing our art pipeline.
- Work closely with the Art Director and Leads to drive and evangelize our artistic vision.
- Assist in planning asset production in collaboration with the concept and design teams.
Skills & Requirements
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Minimum 5+ years as a character artist or equivalent experience required
- Self-motivation, good communication skills, and a great team-player attitude
- 7+ years or more of production experience in game development as a Character Artist.
- Solid foundation in human anatomy and mechanical principles.
- An exceptional understanding of character form
- Creative vision to take a character to completion from either a detailed or simple concept image
- Great understanding of next generation asset creation pipelines and tools
- Expert knowledge of Maya or any core 3d modeling package
- Expert knowledge of Zbrush
- Expert knowledge of Substance Painter or any core texture painting package.
- Exceptional understanding of form, shape, structure, and silhouette in regard to modeling
- Superior eye for light, shade, color, and detail in creating texture maps
- Able to effectively collaborate with game designers and programmers
- Experience creating clothes in Marvelous Designer.
- Experience working on FPS or sci-fi games.
- Experience in shipping AAA console titles.
All candidates must deliver a full resume with samples to be considered for this position.
Portfolio review and presentation will be required.
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
About the Company
343 Industries has a single mission: Build incredible Halo experiences. 343 Industries is part of Microsoft Studios, and the steward of the Halo universe. We build the stories, the worlds, and the gameplay that make Halo such an iconic and innovative franchise.
Halo is one of the largest entertainment properties in the world. With over 65 million games sold, New York Times best-selling novels, action figures, apparel and much, much more, this multi-billion dollar franchise has revolutionized console gaming and established a rich and expansive universe for its devoted fans. This is your chance to contribute your passion and vision to one of the most exciting intellectual properties and on one of the most talented teams in the industry.