343 Industries has one single mission: Build great HALO experiences. 343 Industries, part of Microsoft Studios, is home to the game industries top talent and we are dedicated to the HALO universe. We build the stories, the worlds, and the gameplay that make HALO what it is today. And we need exceptional artists to help us achieve that goal.
343 has an incredible opportunity for a motivated, experienced and professional Environment Surfacing Artist. This role will specialize in creating exceptional AAA quality Shaders, Materials and Texture maps for our environments and worlds. The ideal candidate will have superior eye and execution skills for color, composition, surface and material qualities. Additionally, you will have a strong understanding of lighting and physically based rendering techniques. You are knowledgeable and up to date on modern trends in real time shaders and materials and be well versed in creating texture maps with maximum visual impact that are also highly optimized.
You should have a strong understanding of the construction process for modern game environments including world building, layout and lighting. This candidate is expected to be extremely creative, highly collaborative and be effective in communicating and incorporating feedback. You will work closely with Lead Environment Artists, Shader and Graphics Developers and peer environment artists. The ideal candidate must be highly effective and positive in ambiguous situations, able to self-motivate to high performance, manage your time effectively and react quickly to changing requirements.
Skills & Requirements
- Deliver Best-in-Class Shaders, Materials and Texture maps for real time environments
- Take ownership of the content and process through to completion
- Create and adapt materials to fit a given style (realistic vs. stylized)
- Partner with developers to build workflows, tools and rendering features for environments
- Constantly improve and advocate for best in class content creation and production practices
- Collaborate with peers to build the best player experience possible
- Follow all technical guidelines and performance requirements.
- Work in ambiguity while still delivering timely and high-quality results
- Actively seeks out, incorporates and provides feedback to and from peers
- Highly motivated and contributes to a positive working environment
- 2+ years of environment art production experience for console or PC games
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Strong understanding of physically based rendering especially with regards to textures and materials
- Thorough knowledge of PBR texture components (albedo, normal, roughness, metallic, etc.)
- Expertise in Substance Designer
- Superior eye for light, shade, color, form and detail
- Exceptional texture creation skills with a strong understanding of modern shader usage
- Understanding of photogrammetry techniques
- Experience with code based or node graph based shader creation
- Highly proficient with industry standard software like Maya, 3D Studio Max, Substance Painter, Zbrush, Mudbox, Photoshop or Mari
- Highly organized with excellent spoken and written communication skills
- Excellent Time management skills
- Experience with a modern game engine (UE4, Unity, etc.)
- Experience working with large and diverse teams while working at scale
- Experience working on FPS or sci-fi games
- Experience with real-time lighting
All candidates must deliver a full resume with samples to be considered for this position.
Portfolio review and presentation will be required.
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
All candidates must deliver a resume with art samples to be considered for this position. Portfolio review and presentation will be required for all interviewing candidates.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the Company
343 Industries has a single mission: Build incredible Halo experiences. 343 Industries is part of Microsoft Studios, and the steward of the Halo universe. We build the stories, the worlds, and the gameplay that make Halo such an iconic and innovative franchise.
Halo is one of the largest entertainment properties in the world. With over 65 million games sold, New York Times best-selling novels, action figures, apparel and much, much more, this multi-billion dollar franchise has revolutionized console gaming and established a rich and expansive universe for its devoted fans. This is your chance to contribute your passion and vision to one of the most exciting intellectual properties and on one of the most talented teams in the industry.