We’re kicking off an exciting new project here at Splash Damage and so we’re looking for a Character Artist to join the team to bring heroes and villains to life!
As Character Artist, you will work closely with the Art Director and Creative Director and be responsible for creating and maintaining high quality characters for our project.
- Collaborate with Art and Design Directors to create technically sound, engaging and memorable characters
- Ensuring character assets meet specifications provided by all relevant departments
- Able to accurately follow common goals putting the team first, whilst self-motivated and demonstrating initiative.
- Keep the artistic style & mood consistent with our defined visual style
- Maintain quality level, efficiency and consistency across the character team
Splash Damage is an equal opportunity employer. We believe our teams create better work when they have a range of perspectives to draw from, and we are committed to creating an inclusive working environment that celebrates diversity.
Skills & Requirements
Essential Skills and Experience
- Experienced and proficient with 3D Studio MAX or Maya, Zbrush and Substance.
- Strong 3D modelling (both organic and hard surface) and texturing skills
- Strong knowledge and understanding of human anatomy and mechanics
- Strong knowledge of mechanical construction and functionality (gear and weapons)
- Experience of character pipelines and efficient memory management of UVs, textures and vertices
- Experienced working with multiple texturing workflows for current (PBR) and capable of creating well defined and readable realistic materials in Substance.
- Examples of current and past work demonstrating a strong understanding of form, silhouette, shape, texture, colour and lighting
- Understanding of character preparation from modelling, rigging and skinning for animation
- A keen motive to be proactive and efficient in work methods whilst maintaining high standards
- A great team player, able to communicate, learn from and teach others in a respectable manner.
- Excellent communication and collaborative problem solving skills
Desirable Skills and Experience
- Experienced in developing character models and textures
- shipped console/PC title where credited as character artist
- Games industry experience
- Knowledge of real-time shaders and optimisation
- Strong traditional art foundations including but not limited to Sculpture, Conceptual design and illustration including lighting or colour keys
- Knowledge of rigging and skinning principles
- Keen interest in games and game design beyond art.
- Experience working within Unreal Engine 4
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
About the Company
About Splash Damage
Come join us!
We founded Splash Damage with a mission to create lifelong friendships for our players and our employees by building the world’s most engaging multiplayer experiences with world-leading partners. Our teams have just celebrated the launch of Gears Tactics and we’re currently working on several exciting unannounced titles.
Our people always come first, and we acted swiftly to ensure that we moved all our employees to a work from home model during the COVID-19 outbreak in the UK, and this will continue for the foreseeable future. With our first-class virtual onboarding programme, we’re able to get you up and running remotely during this time and we’re maintaining our relaxed and welcoming culture with digital social events, daily company communications and much more. With the relaxing of travel and quarantine restrictions in the UK, we are now relocating new team members from outside the UK to London prior to starting their employment with us. This gives new Splashers the opportunity to establish a home in the local area, before joining their teams in working remotely until such time as we return to the studio. We will continue to monitor the situation in line with government advice, and look forward to having all of our amazing staff back into the studio as soon as it is safe to do so.
We're advocates for work-life balance and offer flexible working arrangements to suit individual needs and a comprehensive benefits package which focuses on family and mental well-being. Together with this we’ve been running a formal Equality, Diversity and Inclusion programme for nearly two years and are committed to increasing diversity across our studio.