Technical Art Lead - New World
We believe the evolution that began with arcade communities a quarter at a time, growing to the live streams and esports of today, will continue to a future where everyone is a gamer and every gamer can create, compete, collaborate and connect with others at massive scales. If you share our belief that games will produce some of the future’s most influential voices in media and art, come join us.
New World is an Open World MMO that pits players against the haunted wilderness of Aeternum, a mysterious island in the twilight of the Age of Exploration. Success in New World ultimately depends on a player’s ability to conquer not only rival players, but Aeternum itself, as it unleashes undead legions, hell-bent on purging them from its shores.
Amazon Games, Orange County is seeking a Lead Technical Artist to lead the Technical Art team to create advanced game development tools and rigging solutions. As the Lead Technical Artist, you will work closely with the Lead Animator, Lead Environment Artist and Game Design leaders along with Sr Engineers to deliver tools that increase our efficiency and raise the quality of our results. You will manage a team of skilled technical artists including riggers and tools developers. You will combine a strong understanding of content workflows with a deep knowledge of technical design to deliver tools and rigs to the delight of your customers. You will also need to bring your best personnel management skills to get the most from your team while helping everyone pursue their career goals.
- Responsible for the Technical Art team’s execution of content workflow tools and rigging solutions.
- Work closely with development leads to maximize the efficiency and quality of the New World Art, Design and Animation teams.
- Manage technical artists by helping align their passions and career goals with project needs.
- Work with engineers and world builders to define and improve world building tools.
- Work with the art outsourcing team to identify opportunities and maximize outsourcing results.
- Lead efforts to optimize art assets for performance and memory usage.
- Play and thoroughly review the live game to ensure assets are produced according to established standards with high quality results.
- Work with Production to measure quality, efficiency, and predictability of the Technical Art team.
Skills & Requirements
- 7+ years of experience in the game industry preferably as an Technical Artist
- 3+ years of experience in personnel management
- 3+ shipped AAA game titles
- Bachelor’s Degree in Art or in a related field
- Expert skills in Python coding practices and conventions.
- Highly Proficient in major 3D software packages (Max/Maya and Zbrush/Mudbox)
- Expert knowledge of at least one Game Engine (CryEngine, Unreal, or equivalent)
- Experience developing in multiple DCC apps.
- Ability to collaborate with multiple teams.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Understanding of procedural art systems in games.
- Experience working with outsourcing
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role.
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role.
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity – Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
About the Company
At Amazon Game Studios, we see gaming becoming the largest entertainment form on Earth. Access to massive computing and communications has fueled massive growth in communities of players, broadcasters, viewers, fans and game developers of all sizes. At Amazon Game Studios, we are seeking the industry’s best talent to help us create, publish and support multiple games being developed in our Seattle, San Diego, and Irvine studios. Join us, and you’ll have the power of Amazon’s tools and technology, including Twitch, AWS, and more, to shape the future of games.