Motion Graphics Artist
Cloud Imperium Games is looking for an experienced Motion Graphics Artist to work full time on Star Citizen, onsite at our Wilmslow studio (near Manchester, UK).
This role involves working with the Graphic Design and UI team to create great looking sci fi displays - in story-based Squadron 42, and the multiplayer Star Citizen universe. Our ultimate goal is to create vehicle HUDs, FUI screens and player facing AR displays that are not only easy to use, but styled and animated to the quality of a Hollywood movie.
We are looking for a talented Visual / Motion Graphics designer who can define the style and visual targets for various displays and help push the implementation of these from concept videos through to in-game implementation.
Skills & Requirements
- Concepts and Visual Targets – Working closely with artists, UI designers and art directors on look development. From sketches, polished presentation images, to high quality animated mockups.
- In Game Implementation – Working with the game engine to translate concepts into working interfaces in the game, working across teams to help define workflows and best practices to bring the in-game interfaces up to the highest visual standard.
- Problem solving ability to get the best quality within technology and time limitations.
- Working as a team to develop new ideas, techniques and concepts to push the visual quality of the Star Citizen UI.
- Assist in developing skills in peers and junior team members to aid them with best practice and technique.
- A passion for great looking motion graphics and an awareness of the latest techniques and software
- 5+ year’s experience in a similar position in the games or movie industry.
- Strong visual design and animation portfolio – FUI, graphic design, typography, layout, presentation and animation.
- Comfortable working in a variety of visual styles in 2D and 3D.
- Strong technical skills in areas such as scripting, shaders, particles, optimisation.
- Ability to manage time well and provide high quality work to tight deadlines.
- Passionate, proactive, multi disciplined motion graphics / visual designer.
- Proficient in After Effects, Illustrator and Photoshop.
- Experienced at animating, modelling, texturing and rendering in at least one 3D package.
- Good communication and time management skills.
Pluses (not required to apply)
- Proficient at working with Unreal, Unity or Cryengine
- Team leadership and mentoring skills
- A passion for video games
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
About the Company
Cloud Imperium Games is a new kind of independent studio dedicated to delivering AAA experiences outside the established publisher system, Founded by Chris Roberts, creator of the best selling Wing Commander and Freelancer series, Cloud Imperium is currently developing Star Citizen, a record-shattering crowd funded title that combines classic space sim gameplay with Hollywood-caliber visuals
Cloud Imperium aims to pave new ground in game development by sharing the process with the players. Where game development was once hidden, Cloud Imperium has opted to share the process with those backing Star Citizen. Supporters come to know the team and follow them every step of the way as the game created. The community is closely engaged and their feedback Is considered in all aspects of game development, avoiding standard publicity to put Roberts’ epic vision directly in players’ hands.
Cloud Imperium Games Corporation was founded in April 2012 by renowned game developer Chris Roberts (Wing Commander, Freelancer, Privateer) and his business partner and long-time international media attorney Ortwin Freyermuth. Under Roberts leadership using his long-standing relationships in the game space, Cloud Imperium quickly assembled a top tier development team for the creation of art assets, story elements, and an extensive prototype for its first game Star Citizen. Star Citizen is being marketed and launched via robertsspaceindustries.com.
Cloud Imperium has studios in Los Angeles, California ; Austin, Texas ; Manchester, UK and Frankfurt, Germany.