Technical Lead Artist
We are Velan Studios, an independent game developer based in Troy NY. We are focused on creating ground-breaking innovative game experiences across existing and emerging platforms. Velan Studios’ team members have created, developed, and contributed to some of the most impactful and innovative game franchises of the last 20 years, including Skylanders, Destiny, Uncharted, Rock Band, Tony Hawk, Mario Maker, Team Fortress 2, Donkey Kong Country, and Guitar Hero. Members of the team have worked at various AAA studios like Vicarious Visions, Naughty Dog, Harmonix, Nintendo, Guerilla Games, Avalanche Studios, Retro Studios, and more.
At Velan, we believe in maintaining a collaborative, diverse, and creative team environment and we’re looking for new team members who have a desire to help grow our studio.
In March of 2019, Electronic Arts announced that EA Partners will publish Velan’s first original IP for consoles, PC, and mobile platforms.
About the Role:
If you’re half coder and half artist – you get both and can translate from art to tech and back again, so the entire development team gets the most out of the tools to build the next great game experiences of the future.
The ideal candidate is a highly technical visual artist with specific expertise in lighting and materials. This individual will help create, shape, and lead the artistic direction with an innovative team of developers. This role collaborates closely with the Art Director and other Studio Creative Leaders to define the look and feel of early-stage prototypes and experiment with different visual styles. As the project moves from early stages to production, the Technical Art Lead will also help expand, direct, and lead the art team that executes on the project.
Supervises art staff, vendors, and contractors.
Skills & Requirements
- 5+ years of game industry experience on console, mobile, handheld and/or PC platforms
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Graphic Art or related field or equivalent experience preferred
- Experience with physically-based rendering
- Solid fundamentals: A strong understanding of light & color, shape, composition, and surface types
- Expert in 3D Studio Max or Maya, Substance, Adobe Creative Suite, etc.
- Advanced knowledge and experience in modern lighting techniques for real-time and offline graphics
- Proficiency with color grading and shader development
- Experience with visual scripting such as Maya Hypershade, UE4 Material Editor, Substance Designer or ShaderForge
- Experience working in Unreal, Unity or other AAA engines
- Ability to collaborate with other artists and engineers
- Prior Lead or Sub-Lead experience on a mid-sized or large console/PC/Handheld/VR or AR development projects
- Film, television or photography experience
- Modeling, texturing, character, environment, concept or illustration expertise
- Experience with a scripting language such as Python
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
To apply for this position, send your resume, cover letter, and portfolio to email@example.com. Be sure to reference the position you’re applying for in the subject line.
About the Company
Velan Studios is a new development studio made up of a diverse team of game industry veterans. We are focused on creating ground-breaking experimental game experiences across existing and emerging platforms.
Our development team members have created, developed, and contributed to some of the most impactful and innovative game franchises of the last 20 years, including Guitar Hero, Skylanders, Rock Band, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Donkey Kong Country and Metroid Prime.
Our team is embarking on a mission to create innovative game experiences that will stoke the imagination and entertain. Our experience inspires us to be scrappy, respect our players, and stay curious. Check out our website to learn more!