Senior Concept Artist (North San Diego County)
Concept Artists create iconic and memorable artwork to draw players into our world for an immersive online game play experience. In this role, you’ll develop visual references for characters, creatures, environments, and props that inspire our team and contribute to the unique visual direction of our newly imagined, original game title.
Reporting directly to the Studio Art Director, you will create mood paintings, color studies, and lighting keys to inform and guide artists and help bring design work to life. You'll work directly with other team leads in art, design, engineering, and production to bring focus to the overarching art tasks and visual design of the game; helping Playable Worlds bring its unique vision to life in our flagship title.
Skills & Requirements
Concept Artists create iconic and memorable designs to draw players into our game for an immersive MMO play experience. The Sr. Character Concept Artist role is designing visual references for characters, creatures, environments, and props that inspire our team and contribute to the unique visual direction of our world.
Reporting directly to the Studio Art Director, you will create mood paintings, color studies, and lighting keys to inform and guide the concept team artists and help them bring the games artistic vision to life. Work directly with the studio art director in design, production to help bring focus to the look and feel of the game.
Playable Worlds offers competitive salaries in the art field. An art test will be required of all selected candidates.
- 7+ years of professional experience as a Concept Artist in games.
- Experience creating high quality drawings and illustrations.
- An understanding of 3D with experience creating 2D design ideas to be translated into 3D models.
- The ability to effectively provide good draftsmanship in a timely manner and with a high degree of polish.
- Exceptional understanding of anatomy, and the skill to create compelling character concepts with emotions and feelings.
- An eye for color and detail.
- Mastery of relevant software packages such as Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Highly collaborative personality, using your creative energy to inspire and flesh out the vision with others on a team.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States, and able to work from our office in Northern San Diego County.
- Must have portfolio link on resume, with examples of latest work.
- Three shipped game titles or credits, preferably in a lead role, where you helped oversee the quality, scheduling and implementation of a large portion of the game’s conceptual development.
- Experience with massively multiplayer (MMO) game development, with large world environments.
- Experience mentoring a growing team of artists and enjoys the process of helping others grow fundamentally.
- Basic understanding of 3D with experience creating design iterations to be translated into 3D with Maya or ZBrush.
- Knowledge of agile development practices and tools, such as Jira, Basecamp, Trello, etc.
Location: San Marcos, CA
Type: Fulltime, Exempt
Posted Date: 01/29/2020
How to Apply
This is a Onsite Full-Time Employment position. If you meet the minimum requirements, please apply at
- Must be authorized to work in the United states
- Must be able to work daily from our San Marcos office in Southern California/San Diego area
About the Company
Game development studio in North San Diego County working on an exciting unannounced game title. We offer competitive salaries, unlimited vacation, and platinum tier benefits that include Health, Dental, Vision, FSA, 401k and life Insurance.
Exact title level and compensation for each position will be commensurate with experience.
Come work with the best. Our team consists of top talent from the creators of Ultima Online and Star Wars Galaxies and companies such as Sony, Amazon, Disney, DC, Marvel, and Zynga just to name a few!
We create playable worlds
Worlds where all sorts of people can come together and have fun.
Worlds that live and breathe.
Worlds full of rich story and wonder.
We make these worlds for you. For players.
We use cutting-edge technology and design.
We enable communities and societies.
We create these worlds. You live in them.
They are your worlds, your stories.