Senior Technical Artist (Rigger)
We are looking for a Senior Technical Artist (Rigger) to join our growing Technical Art team at Rare! We want to hear from people who have a passion for solving difficult challenges, a thirst for innovation and a drive for making the best games possible.
You would be joining Rare at an incredibly exciting point of development in our 30-year history, working on 2 completely unique projects including Sea of Thieves, our ultimate Pirate adventure and the recently announced Everwild.
You will be part of a dynamic team whose key responsibility is to push for quality and efficiency wherever possible. Working with all Art teams, Engineering disciplines and Design teams, you will help define and assist in making flexible content pipelines and work collaboratively on new cutting-edge features with the Programming teams, whilst always searching for ways we can improve.
If you have the skills and passion we are looking for and, most importantly, want to be part of something special, we want to hear from you!
The role can be based in either Twycross or London. If London, then travels to Twycross will be required as per business needs.
- Deliver complete tool sets independently.
- Work with the Art teams and Leads to deliver the game to the artistic vision.
- Be responsible for identifying and creating tools to improve content creation and animation pipelines.
- Support the Art, Engineering and Design teams, helping to resolve technical difficulties.
- Use your experience to identify production risks and development improvements across the Art team and the company as a whole.
- Implement briefs provided by other teams, delivering reliable tools in a realistic timeframe.
- Proactively identify new technologies and techniques to improve the quality of the game.
- Create concise documentation for toolsets that the team can rely on.
- Help keep assets/content within memory budget and follow performance guidelines.
Skills & Requirements
- A professional portfolio or technical blog.
- Degree in Computer Science or similar related subject.
- At least one full project cycle as a Technical Artist specialising in character/creature rigging.
- At least four years' game development experience, seeing projects from beginning to end as a Technical Artist. Experience of working on console is a must.
- Knowledge of programming languages such as Python/C#/C++.
- Deep knowledge of 3D creation packages (Maya, MotionBuilder etc.)
- Experience with cloth and rigid/soft body physics setup.
- Up-to-date experience and knowledge of current game development practices and terminology.
- Experience with Unreal Engine or equivalent is a plus.
- Excellent eye for quality control and detail.
- Excellent problem-solving skills, with the ability to use existing knowledge to rapidly improvise solutions.
- A broad technical understanding with the capacity to learn and utilise new skills quickly.
- Experience in dealing with the idiosyncrasies of team project work.
- Excellent communication skills; a proactive and organised individual.
- Ability to take direction and constructive feedback.
- Self-motivated and passionate about your work.
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
Rare are part of Xbox Game Studios, Microsoft.
About the Company
Rare is a one-of-a-kind game studio where we create the kind of games the world doesn’t have, that are uniquely Rare!
Join us at one of our most exciting stages of development with 2 extraordinary projects coming out of the studio. Launched in 2018, on-going development of the ultimate pirate adventure game Sea of Thieves, enjoyed by millions of players worldwide as well as the captivating and beautiful new IP, Everwild, announced to a global audience in 2019.
Our rich heritage includes beloved titles such as Banjo-Kazooie, Battletoads, Viva Piñata and Perfect Dark, all drawn together in the 30-game compilation Rare Replay to mark our 30th anniversary. As a studio rich in ideas, we're always striving to build games that players will adore and return to time and time again.
We employ around 150 game developers at our custom-built facility in Twycross, in the heart of the English countryside with winding forest paths, wildlife and enough room for us to grow!
As an artist at Rare, you can expect to work alongside some of the most creative and knowledgeable people in the industry. Our artists have significant input into the creation of Rare's iconic games and characters, so why not join us and make your own mark on one of the world's most well-loved studios?