DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
- Design, implement, and maintain game environments in a highly iterative development environment.
- Plan out thoughtful and intentional player experiences at both macro and micro levels.
- Use proprietary toolset to design, build, script, integrate, and optimize game environments.
- Provide constructive feedback for features, environments, and processes.
- Evaluate and implement feedback from all relevant sources.
- Write and illustrate clear design documentation.
- Collaborate with other departments to ensure content meets established goals and parameters.
- Foster a highly positive team culture by building consensus and using collaborative approaches to conflict resolution.
*This job description outlines primary duties and requirements and is not intended to identify all tasks that may be performed; individuals occupying the position may be required to perform other duties. The company may modify job duties from time to time, either in practice or in writing.
Skills & Requirements
SUMMARY OF REQUIREMENTS:
- A minimum of 3+ years of experience in game environment design, including experience on a shipped 3D action adventure title.
- Extensive knowledge of game environment design.
- A working knowledge of standard industry game engines, design toolsets, and production pipelines.
- Willingness to be open and flexible when collaborating with others to achieve a design.
- Rigorous and iterative design and ideation methodology.
- Strong composition, narrative, and environmental storytelling skills.
- Strong organizational, communication, and influencing skills.
- A passion for Nintendo and Retro titles preferred.
- Skill with Illustrator, Photoshop, and Maya preferred.
- Examples of prior work must be available upon request.
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
About the Company
Founded in 1998, Retro Studios is a wholly owned subsidiary of Nintendo Company, Ltd. Retro is a state-of-the-art game development studio, working in conjunction with Nintendo to bring award-winning games to Nintendo's cutting-edge next-generation platforms. Retro Studios is in beautiful Austin, Texas. With rolling hills, scenic waterways, abundant wildlife, vibrant music and film scenes, and a laid-back cosmopolitan culture, Austin is a dynamic city with an excellent quality of life. Austin's sunny weather also supports a great range of outdoor activities, providing plenty of venues for top-notch game developers to recharge and unwind.