Senior Environment Artist (World Building) - Destiny
We’re looking for talented people to create art for the Destiny universe. Can you build an alien military compound on Venus? Imagine and craft an ice cavern on mars? The universe that Destiny offers to inspire building incredible environments is vast.
Building worlds is a crucial component of making a game, and requires an artist who understands and can take on different roles. Whether that role is layout artist, or level designer, modeler, material expert, or lighting. World builders wear a lot of hats at different stages of development. Vicarious Visions is looking for exceptional artists to help create awe-inspiring visuals for breathtaking gaming environments. This is an amazing opportunity to work with world-class art talent to develop a visually-inspired AAA title.
In 2016, Vicarious Visions celebrated its 25th year in the industry. Over the years, we have made hundreds of games, in every genre, on every conceivable game platform in the known universe. We are a studio that is built to last, and now we are embarking on a brand new chapter.
We are currently partnering with Bungie to further expand the award winning Destiny universe.
Our philosophy of combining cutting-edge tech with creative innovation is evidenced in all of our products – from Skylanders to Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 to our recent contributions to this year’s Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare. We apply the same dedication to excellence to every video game franchise we’ve worked on over the years and we are bringing that same philosophy to the Destiny franchise.
We thrive on a culture of collaboration, respect and fun. We have built a welcoming and relaxed workplace that invites creativity and encourages individual voices. We not only give our developers a safe and warm place to incubate and grow their ideas but the tools and support necessary to turn those ideas into impactful and memorable experiences.
Your Guardian will be Responsible for:
- Collaborate with level design, and other disciplines to bring levels from 2d layout to fully polished Destiny environments
- Interpret and break down concept art into the actual game environments
- Contribute to the research, development, and documentation of tools, and art department processes
- Create models for both architectural and organic natural environments
- Collaborate and communicate with art and design leadership to maintain consistency with in the world we are creating
- Maintain level performance and optimization
Our studio is located in Albany, NY, a thriving northeastern city with an abundance of professional theatre, music, dance, and sports attractions, as well as a backyard full of recreational activities. (That’s a metaphorical backyard. The studio’s backyard has a patio and grill though…with seasonal awning.) And for those looking for more adventures, we’re located less than three hours from NYC, Boston, and
Skills & Requirements
The skills we’re looking for in order to level up your Guardian:
- At least 4 to 5+ years of experience in job offered, or in a related occupation
- 3dsMax, Maya, Photoshop, Zbrush, Worldmachine, advanced node based shaders, terrain creation workflows, and asset management and tool development
- Strong understanding of light, value, composition, color, staging and detail in environmental design
- Strong sense of scale and spatial awareness
- Understanding of how environment art impacts gameplay
- Self-motivated, independent, and has proven ability to self-manage and meet deadlines and performs at an expected consistent level
- Strong communication skills
- High level of creativity and independence; requires little instruction or oversight
- Has knowledge to identify, assess and mitigate project risks
- Not an jerk
You’ll really get noticed with these upgrades to your Light Level:
- Experience and understanding of physically based rendering and creating assets for PBR
- Good sense of humor
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
Please apply at http://m.rfer.us/ACV2GT1ex
About the Company
Located in Albany, NY, VV has brought their expertise to global franchises such as Skylanders and Guitar Hero for over 25 years, creating new entries in each series infused with the studio’s signature quality and forward-thinking approach to design. In 2017, VV released the Crash Bandicoot N-Sane Triology, a rebuild of the classic games with gorgeous, all-new graphics, met with universal praise from fans and critics alike. Currently, the studio is spearheading the PC version of Destiny 2 (winner of ‘Best PC Game’ at E3 2017) and bringing their passion and talent to new stories and content within the world of Destiny.
Lovingly referred to as the VV Family, the team is composed of a diverse set of highly talented men and women who bring their personal expertise, creativity, and drive to every facet of the games and technology we create. The VV philosophy of combining cutting-edge tech with creative innovation is brought to life through our family, who embody our values and soul in their work and play. We thrive on a culture of collaboration, respect, and fun; we have built a welcoming and relaxed workplace that invites creativity and encourages individual voices.