We are looking for a Technical Animator who has the experience and passion to work on unique and innovative AAA game experiences. The Technical Animator will work with our Lead and Principal Technical Animators as well as Engineers, helping to develop and implement state-of-the art animation state machines which solve technical animation issues and show off the animations to their very best.
This role requires someone who is happiest solving technical problems but also has an artistic Animator’s eye to see when things are implemented correctly, is very hands-on with using the Unreal Engine (including native C++ coding) and has great communication skills.
- Implement and maintain quality technical animation solutions which are both elegant and performant.
- Keep to both time and platform constraints.
- Maintain clear and concise documentation to communicate requirements to both internal and external teams.
- Take Art and Design requirements and provide creative solutions to challenging briefs.
- Make sure native C++ code is performant and meets engineering guidelines.
Skills & Requirements
- At least one full project cycle working as a Technical Animator with state machine systems.
- Thorough knowledge of Unreal, although working in other animation systems such as Unity, CryEngine or Endorphin is acceptable.
- Up-to-date knowledge of current technical animation techniques and systems.
- Knowledge of IK setup and implementation including driven bones and ragdoll.
- An understanding of Unreal native C++ code for technical animation purposes.
- Has shipped at least one AAA console/PC title as a Technical Animator.
- Knowledge of programming languages such as Python/C#/C++/HLSL.
- Creative and passionate approach to problem-solving.
- Proactive, organised, able to work and communicate as part of a team and independently.
- Able to effectively collaborate with Designers and Programmers.
How to Apply
Please note that this role is not employed via Rare or Microsoft but via a third-party agency.
Please also note that candidates must already have a valid work visa for the UK if they are a non-EU citizen. We cannot offer any visa sponsorship for contract roles.
About the Company
Rare is a one-of-a-kind game studio where we create the kind of games the world doesn’t have, that are uniquely Rare!
Join us at one of our most exciting stages of development with 2 extraordinary projects coming out of the studio. Launched in 2018, on-going development of the ultimate pirate adventure game Sea of Thieves, enjoyed by millions of players worldwide as well as the captivating and beautiful new IP, Everwild, announced to a global audience in 2019.
Our rich heritage includes beloved titles such as Banjo-Kazooie, Battletoads, Viva Piñata and Perfect Dark, all drawn together in the 30-game compilation Rare Replay to mark our 30th anniversary. As a studio rich in ideas, we're always striving to build games that players will adore and return to time and time again.
We employ around 150 game developers at our custom-built facility in Twycross, in the heart of the English countryside with winding forest paths, wildlife and enough room for us to grow!
As an artist at Rare, you can expect to work alongside some of the most creative and knowledgeable people in the industry. Our artists have significant input into the creation of Rare's iconic games and characters, so why not join us and make your own mark on one of the world's most well-loved studios?