Level Designer (m/f/d)
Are you bursting with ideas and eager to let your creativity flow in an inspiring work environment with a friendly atmosphere? Then apply now to become part of our passionate and wildly creative team!
Join the studio behind the award-winning Galaxy on Fire series as Level Designer to create immersive and spectacular game worlds for an upcoming 3rd person action game for console and PC. Let’s do this together! (Field trips into space may not be included).
- Develop high-level concepts for levels, locations, and objectives
- Design engaging level flows to execute the overall game design intentions
- Bring levels through every phase of development from concept to final polish: blocking out, building, scripting, adding events, dressing and fine-tuning
- Collaborate with the members of the design team to create interesting and engaging gameplay scenarios
- Communicate your own designs and ideas to the rest of the team
- Work closely with the art department and collaborate with all disciplines on the game team
- Make sure levels comply with technical requirements
Skills & Requirements
- Strong visual storytelling skills and excellent understanding of 3D game space and pacing
- Deep knowledge of Unreal Engine’s Blueprint system and game scripting systems
- Excellent understanding of level design fundamentals: learning curves, means of player direction, difficulty levels, balancing, pacing, motivation and reward cycles, accessibility, etc.
- Minimum of one shipped game in which you contributed significantly to the level design
- Professional working experience with the Unreal Engine
- Intuitive understanding of how second-to-second action games work and why people play them
- Passionate about games and a solid video game culture
- Positive work attitude and ability to give as well as receive objective criticism
- Strong capacity for teamwork as well as drive to achieve things on your own
- Excellent written and verbal communication and documentation skills, plus the ability to convey abstract concepts
- Good level of written/spoken English
- Experience in the development of console games
- Experience with software such as Maya, SketchUp or ZBrush
- Technical background with hands-on experience in programming or visual scripting
- Academic degree or work experience in art, architecture, interior design or industrial design
- Experience with other engines and tools such as Unity 3D, CryEngine, Frostbite Engine and older versions of Unreal etc.
- An eye for cinematography
We are just as passionate about our games as we are about their creators (Could that be you?!). Your job comes with personal responsibility, freedom and short decision-making routes. And most importantly - A motivated, international team full of fellow gamers.
The studio is located in a bright, modern office, right in the center of Hamburg. With a selection of benefits for all our staff: Including discounted gym membership, fresh fruit and a variety of free drinks. A healthy work-life balance is important to you? For us too! That’s why we are also awarded as a family-friendly workplace. Coming from abroad? No problem! We also offer relocation packages.
Sounds good? Take a look here: www.dsfishlabs.com
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
Did we spark your interest? We are looking forward to your application. Simply click here and apply with just one click by linking your LinkedIn Profile or uploading your CV.
If you have any further documents which you think might be worth sharing to underline your background and talents, we are happy to receive them as well. If you have questions regarding the application just drop us an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. An application via our online tool is preferred.
About the Company
For more than 15 years Deep Silver FISHLABS has been creating compelling games that have been brought to life on millions of screens across the globe. We joined the Deep Silver / Koch Media family in late 2013 and, since then, we have continuously raised the quality bar. Today, we are one of three internal development studios run by our parent company, alongside Deep Silver Volition in the US and Deep Silver Dambuster Studio in the UK.
We specialize in high-end 3D games for consoles and PC. With a strong development history and award-winning portfolio of mobile games; such as blockbuster space-action shooter Galaxy on Fire: Manticore and the tactical zombie brawler Dead Island: Survivors; we are currently developing thrilling titles for the PS4, Xbox One, PC and Nintendo Switch.