SENIOR FX ARTIST - 343 Industries (HALO)
343 Industries, the studio developing Halo games, is looking for a Senior FX Artist to join our team working on the next, big Halo shooter experience. We’re looking for someone who is highly creative and driven, willing to tackle any effect challenge that comes their way. A solid team player with strong communication skills, able to work with leads, directors, artists, engineers and designers. Someone who is self-sufficient and flexible enough to build effects from scratch without any preconceived ideas or by matching concept artwork. Be a part of a tightly knit team that is responsible for delivering high-end effects for future Halo games. Join 343 Industries and become part of the Halo legacy.
- Create all types of photorealistic, high quality effects for environments and dynamic objects.
- Innovate current effect techniques to push beyond modern game development methods.
- Effectively communicate new feature requests to the technical artists and engineers.
- Work directly with the FX Lead and Art Director to ensure the visual quality bar is met.
- Self-driven and passionate about effects development.
- Concept and prototype new effects.
- Develop creative effect ideas for environments and objects.
- Work closely with environment artists, animators, designers, and engineers to produce the best game experience possible.
- Collaborate with other FX artists to share techniques, assets and ideas.
- Optimize effects to run efficiently within the game while maintaining high quality standards.
Skills & Requirements
- 3+ years of professional FX experience.
Preferred Knowledge, Experience and Skillset:
- Art-related degree or certificate
- Strong understanding of how to create photorealistic effects.
- Strong knowledge of particle systems.
- Experience working with real-time particle simulations in either proprietary or 3rd party systems.
- Proficient in at least one 3D software package like Maya, Max, Houdini or XSI.
- Proficient in Photoshop.
- Experience creating high quality fluid dynamic systems.
- Understanding of soft and rigid bodies.
- Knowledge of the art fundamentals including color theory, visual design, and composition.
- Solid understanding of physics, motion and animation, including weighting, scale and timing.
- Ability to create new effect textures from scratch as well as improve existing ones.
- Good understanding of Lighting and how it influences effects.
- Strong communication skills.
- Shipped at least one AAA game, block buster film or popular TV series.
- Experience writing shaders either through an engine’s node network or within a text editor.
- Game scripting experience.
- Proficiency in designing and developing film quality fluid dynamic systems.
- Additional skillset outside of creating effects such as environment modeling, lighting, technical art, etc.
- Understanding of compositing and rendering techniques.
- Background in traditional art, photography or cinematics.
- Good understanding of the 12 principles of animation.
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
Please visit the Microsoft Careers website to apply:
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin or ancestry, age, disability, marital status, pregnancy, protected veteran status, protected genetic information, political affiliation, or any other characteristics protected by local laws, regulations, or ordinances.
About the Company
343 Industries has a single mission: Build incredible Halo experiences. 343 Industries is part of Microsoft Studios, and the steward of the Halo universe. We build the stories, the worlds, and the gameplay that make Halo such an iconic and innovative franchise.
Halo is one of the largest entertainment properties in the world. With over 65 million games sold, New York Times best-selling novels, action figures, apparel and much, much more, this multi-billion dollar franchise has revolutionized console gaming and established a rich and expansive universe for its devoted fans. This is your chance to contribute your passion and vision to one of the most exciting intellectual properties and on one of the most talented teams in the industry.