The minions of hell grow stronger! Our family of diabolically talented developers is expanding. Our backgrounds are varied but we all share a passion for the dark, the gothic, and the macabre. If you value a tightknit team that celebrates self-expression and a multi-disciplinary approach, then join us on the Diablo team!
We are seeking a highly motivated and talented character artist to help set the foundation for outsourcing character related art. This position requiring hands on creation, feedback, management, and engine integration of outsourced character art. The ideal candidate can give precise feedback, in many cases providing demonstrations on how to implement feedback and direct external artists to successful results. You must also be an experienced enough to hit our internal standards on characters from start to finish. You will make art and teach others how to meet our internal standards.
- Manage communication, provide feedback to artists, and help maintain a strong creative relationship between external and internal art teams.
- Generate detailed documentation, video reference, and examples of art asset production, procedures, and engine requirements to support the external vendors.
- Own the quality control over all incoming art assets, providing detailed feedback and approvals to the vendor in order to deliver quality assets to the development team.
- Implement approved assets into the game engine, along with making any needed fixes to keep assets consistent and game ready. Personally create high quality models, materials, weapons when needed.
- Work closely with the art director, art leads, production team, and outsource manager to determine outsourcing needs.
- Coordinate with the outsource manager to schedule and track incoming assets.
- Identify and research possible vendors.
- Travel may be necessary to help train and coach approved vendors.
Skills & Requirements
- Experience in game art asset creation in a variety of software packages including Maya, 3ds Max, Zbrush, and Photoshop
- Strong character, weapon, and environment modeling experience and skills a must
- Clear and concise communications, leadership, and people skills
- Must be highly organized, self-driven, customer focused, and a great team player
- Understanding of the visual style of Blizzard games and a passion to push it to the next level
- Have shipped AAA PC or console title as an environment, character, or technical artist
- Experience working with outsourcing teams
- Experience in an art director or lead artist role
- Fluency in a language other than English, including Chinese, German, Spanish, Italian, or Russian
How to Apply
Please visit our website here:
Submission / Portfolio Requirements
- Cover Letter
- Portfolio, and / or reel demonstrating relevant artistic skills required
- Only online artwork submissions will be accepted (e.g. website, blog or online album)
- An art test may be required if the work presented doesn’t adequately demonstrate a similar style and level of detail similar to the cut-scenes in StarCraft II.
About the Company
Best known for blockbuster hits including World of Warcraft® and the Warcraft® , StarCraft®, and Diablo® franchises, Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. (www.blizzard.com), a division of Activision Blizzard (NASDAQ: ATVI), is a premier developer and publisher of entertainment software renowned for creating some of the industry’s most critically acclaimed games. Blizzard Entertainment’s track record includes nineteen #1-selling games* and multiple Game of the Year awards. The company’s online-gaming service, Battle.net®, is one of the largest in the world, with millions of active players.