Purpose/Summary: An individual contributor who ensures that art and animation production is enhanced by the use of advanced technical processes, systems and software.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES:
- Creates powerful rigging solutions to enhance the efficiency and quality of animation pipeline
- Provides rigging solutions that support achieving the visual targets for character and creature performances
- Understands animator workflow and provides technical support for the efficient production of high-quality animation
- Works directly with artists, animators, designers & engineers to develop software tools and scripts that enhance and streamline the creation of art and animation
- Manages character data and pipelines & animation data and pipelines.
- Writes animation tools for the team
- Participates in determining technical & artistic approaches and in developing new or enhanced technical tools
- Mentors less experienced members of the team to develop fluency with tools and techniques
*This job description outlines primary duties and requirements and is not intended to identify all tasks that may be performed; individuals occupying the position may be required to perform other duties. The company may modify job duties from time to time, either in practice or in writing.
Skills & Requirements
- Proven technical skills in character rigging and animation tools for 3D production
- Solid Python knowledge and familiarity with QT
- Solid math skills
- Thorough understanding of interactive entertainment methodology and the video game production pipeline
- Understands Technical Animation as a service, enjoys collaboration and has strong communication skills
- Ability to solve complex technical problems
- Proven proficiency with 2D/3D art and animation production software and current Retro 2D/3D art production tools
- Strong Maya knowledge
- Minimum four years' experience in technical animation and/or animation production role for interactive entertainment, including minimum of one product cycle as a technical animator in the industry
- Undergraduate degree in art related subject or completion of an intensive art training program or equivalent preferred. Specific experience can be substituted for formal education.
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
About the Company
Founded in 1998, Retro Studios is a wholly owned subsidiary of Nintendo Company, Ltd. Retro is a state-of-the-art game development studio, working in conjunction with Nintendo to bring award-winning games to Nintendo's cutting-edge next-generation platforms. Retro Studios is in beautiful Austin, Texas. With rolling hills, scenic waterways, abundant wildlife, vibrant music and film scenes, and a laid-back cosmopolitan culture, Austin is a dynamic city with an excellent quality of life. Austin's sunny weather also supports a great range of outdoor activities, providing plenty of venues for top-notch game developers to recharge and unwind.