Principal Lighting Artist
Principal Lighting Artist
ZeniMax Online Studios is seeking a Principal Lighting Artist to join our studio for the development of our next AAA game. This is a chance to join an experienced group of developers in pre-production for a new IP.
This position requires an understanding of modern lighting techniques and an eye for artistic excellence informed by training and experience. The ideal candidate understands real-world lighting and cinematography principles as well as game engine technology.
- Work with technical artists and engineers to outline workflow, develop tools and establish best practices for lighting in our new engine
- Work with Art and Design to create compelling and dramatic lighting scenarios for worldbuilding, gameplay and cinematics
- Work with Design to establish functional, gameplay-informing lighting systems
- Establish clear benchmarks for the team, and work with worldbuilders and additional lighting artists to consistently hit those benchmarks through production
- Maintain a balance between visual quality and performance requirements
- Match the established visual style for the game with regard to lighting execution
Skills & Requirements
- 5+ Years of industry experience, preferably focused on lighting
- Working knowledge of modern lighting techniques in next-gen video games
- Expert level proficiency within Max/Maya, Photoshop, and other 3rd party software used in lighting
- Working knowledge of technical art and performance pipelines
- Self-motivated and has the ability to work and solve problems with minimal assistance
- Highly organized with the ability to adhere to production schedules
- Well-developed communication skills and strong work ethic
- A strong understanding of color theory and the influences of lighting on mood and story narrative
- Candidate must submit an online portfolio to be considered
- AAA development experience
- Film production experience
- Training in traditional art mediums (painting or photography)
- Knowledge of current engine technology such as CRYENGINE, UE4, or Unity
- Experience with lighting using a Physically Based Renderer
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
To apply for this position, please visit https://jobs.zenimax.com/requisitions/view/2326 and click the "Apply to Position" link. You will be redirected to the job submission form via our third-party applicant tracking system.
About the Company
ZENIMAX ONLINE STUDIOS (ZOS) is the award-winning developer behind the online RPG The Elder Scrolls® Online. Based in Hunt Valley, Maryland, we strive to create immersive, living worlds where players can enjoy amazing storytelling and play their way.