Houdini FX Artist
Axis Animation is looking to hire experienced HOUDINI FX ARTISTS on an ongoing basis, on freelance contracts of up to 12 months. There is potential for exceptional candidates to move into a more permanent role within the team.
The FX artist’s primary function is to create high quality FX assets and shots across a variety of projects onsite in Glasgow.
Tasks will include building FX assets to create a variety of realistic and stylised FX elements, and implementing these on specific shots, providing the lighting and comp team with both test and final renders of these elements.
Please note all applicants at time of application must have full working rights for the UK and hold an appropriate visa where applicable.
- Design and create realistic and stylised FX using sprite/volumetric rendering techniques and Houdini/Maya particle systems
- Create dynamic or rigid body simulations
- Create tools, utility scripts, expressions and other digital assets to streamline the set-up process and achieve the desired look
- Take responsibility for producing the final looks of FX sequences, including integration with other CG elements
- Provide slap and final comps (as required)
- Work with production management to prioritize tasks
- Keep CG Supervisor and Head of FX informed of progress, changes and other critical issues
Skills & Requirements
- In depth knowledge of Houdini FX experience is essential
- Experience rendering with Houdini/MANTRA preferred
- 2 + years production experience is required.
- Having an animation or commercials background is beneficial
- Some experience with MEL or Houdini scripting
- Some compositing experience, preferably Fusion or similar
- Ability to integrate into existing pipeline infrastructure
- Ability to support himself and take initiative
- Ability to understand and implement feedback
How to Apply
About the Company
Founded in 2000, Axis is an award-winning, international studio of directors, designers, artists, animators, writers and producers that creates content for the biggest names in video games, film, television, commercials and online entertainment.
As a creative team we go out of our way to get under the skin of every project and deliver beyond client expectations. We are passionate about our craft, and we challenge ourselves to leave a lasting impression with every piece of work.
No matter the client, brand, genre or delivery platform, our creative output is distinctive, engaging and entertaining.
Accordingly Axis has won numerous industry accolades, including: a prestigious Cannes Gold Lions Award, New York Festival Awards, D&AD nominations, London International Awards, Promax Awards and a Best Animation BAFTA.
In 2014, Axis were proud to receive the Queen's Award for Enterprise, a highly prestigious honour bestowed by Her Majesty The Queen only to businesses that display the highest levels of excellence.