We believe immersive experiences in virtual reality will transform the way people shop. Spatialand is here to create that future.
Located in Venice, CA, we are defining the next generation of retail by leveraging VR to connect brands, products and consumers in immersive, memorable experiences. And, we are doing it in partnership with the largest retailer in the world. Spatialand is a portfolio company of Store N° 8, Walmart’s technology incubation platform.
In this role, you will create inspiring VR animations that immerse and delight customers.
Top reasons to work with us:
- You love using technology to impact consumers’ daily lives - we are constantly tinkering with new VR hardware/software, researching emerging trends in retail and combining them to create unique experiences for consumers
- We are a startup with the backing of the Fortune 1 - our day-to-day vibe is startup, but we’ve got the resources and commitment of Walmart, the world’s largest retailer that’s built its brand on saving money and helping consumers live better
- Building the next generation of retail excites you - we are developing immersive retail experiences for today’s consumer, while building the future of commerce - a future we call v-commerce™ - where we believe VR will play a central role
You will love this job if you are:
- Obsessed with details - you take ownership and care deeply about the craft of animation by pushing yourself to get better every day
- Feedback oriented - you seek and implement feedback from a variety of stakeholders to take ideas to the next level
- A clear communicator - you know how to break down difficult concepts and make them easy to understand for all audiences (up, down, and sideways)
- Collaborative - you’re able to build cross-functional relationships and thrive in an interdisciplinary, dynamic, team
What you’ll oversee (and often do):
- Assemble, edit, clean up and polish motion capture data, importing and verifying integrity in game engine
- Create fully animated sequences, blend trees, and move sets from storyboards and scripts
- Create hand-animated sequences for bipeds and rigid-bodies, including any rigs, morph targets, blend shapes
- Work collaboratively with Art, Creative, Technology, and Product teams; be a source of expertise for animation-related issues, providing assessments, updates on industry trends, evaluation of emerging technology and techniques
- Contribute to design and implementation of tools pipeline and Spatialand core animation feature set
Pay, perks & such
At Spatialand, we provide competitive salaries and a full slate of benefits including health (medical, vision, dental) coverage, a 401K plan, pre-tax commuter benefits, flex PTO. Of course, we also have startup perks like snacks, engaging events and an office full of energy and people committed to our mission. We love to communicate, which is why we also have weekly team lunches and regularly-scheduled all-hands meetings. We empower employees to dig in and focus on solving big, long-term problems.
Come join us!
Skills & Requirements
- 4+ years experience in animation, rigging, or related experience
- Bachelor’s degree in animation, interactive arts, fine arts, game design, or film techniques
- Solid proficiency of Maya and other animation tools (Autodesk MotionBuilder, 3ds Max)
- Working knowledge of Unity and animation pipeline from external content creation tools
- Understanding of IK and physics simulation systems, for both linear and real time environments
- Character rigging and character animation skills
- Ability to firefight content creation issues
- Master’s degree in animation, interactive arts, fine arts, game design, or film techniques
- Experience with body and facial performance capture pipelines and tools (Blender, Faceware, OptiTrack, ZBrush)
- Choreography, blocking, and layout
- Understanding of common interactive and film camera techniques
- Motion graphics skills
- Ability to model and texture geometry huge plus
How to Apply
About the Company
Spatialand was acquired by Store N° 8, Walmart’s incubation arm for developing capabilities that will transform the future of commerce. At Store N° 8, the Spatialand team will develop and explore new products and uses of VR through immersive retail environments that can be incorporated by all facets of Walmart, online and offline.