Lead VFX Artist
RAVEN SOFTWARE, developer of numerous award-winning games, including contributions to the blockbuster Call of Duty franchise, is looking for a talented and passionate Lead VFX Artist to join our high-caliber team. This position will play a key role in the creative design, asset management, and technical implementation of visual effects and design.
To earn this spot, you have experience delivering high-quality VFX art, fierce art skills in composition and modeling, an aptitude for critical thinking and analysis, boundless creativity, extensive knowledge of FPS gameplay/landscape, and a deep passion for playing videogames.
The ideal candidate should demonstrate a high level of artistic sense and strong technical skills combined with strong leadership qualities. They should drive hard and challenge themselves with the goal of being masters of the craft while inspiring others.
- Working closely with Art Directors, Creative Directors and Level Designers to create top notch in-game particle VFX.
- Scripting out series of VFX events to drive particle behaviors in runtime using our proprietary scripting language.
- Collaborating with prop artists, animators and rigging technical artists to assemble complex layered vehicle destructions and prop destructions using our propriety scripting language and tools.
- Building baked rigid body simulation in-game via Maya and our proprietary scripting language and particle tool to replicate structural destruction animations.
- Creating textures for particle usage.
- Populating environmental VFX in game using our propriety scripting language.
- Tackling runtime rendering performance to help maintain the game running at 60FPS.
- Resolving technical challenges when arise in order to maintain the highest visual bar.
Skills & Requirements
- At least 7+ years of visual effects development
- Solid professional experience and knowledge of the limitations and performance of current generation hardware (Xbox One, PS4).
- Proficient in using Maya and Photoshop.
- Experienced in using After Effects.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Ability to communicate effectively with people across multiple disciplines.
- Possesses excellent aesthetic sense with strong attention to detail.
- Strong understanding of lighting, compositing, digital photography, color theory, 3D modeling and rigging.
- Strong ability in creating atlas textures through simulation.
- Experience in using and modifying real-time materials.
Nice to Haves:
- Experience with 3DS Max/Maya, FumeFX, Houdini and Pull Down It is a plus.
- High-end rendering of particle effects and fluid dynamics.
- Experience with one or more scripting/programming languages.
- Experience creating and configuring geometry assets for in game particle systems.
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
-- Please apply directly on the Raven website --
About the Company
Founded in 1990 by brothers Brian and Steve Raffel, Raven Software has gone from a five-person company with a dream of creating a role-playing game for the Amiga, to the developer of numerous award-winning games and best-selling titles, including Hexen, Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, and most recently being a major contributor to the Call of Duty® franchise.
At Raven, we’ve built our company on expectations. An expectation to always design the games that define industry standards for graphics and playability. An expectation that award-winning games are the norm. But more than anything, a clear understanding of our market’s expectations: that being, for us to consistently produce the games that people want to play. In other words, exactly everything we’ve been doing since 1990.