Senior Technical Artist
Would you like to work on some of the greatest franchises in gaming history? Certain Affinity brings an exceptionally talented group together to form the largest independent developer in Austin, Texas, and we opened a second studio in Toronto, Canada last year. Our company culture reflects the vibrant nature of the cities we call home. This includes a commitment to our evolution, excellence, and work-life balance. We’re best known for co-developing numerous AAA FPS games, though we are also creating compelling new games of our own.
As a Senior Technical Artist at Certain Affinity, you’ll get the chance to see some of the custom 3D tools and pipelines behind the world’s biggest shooters and contribute to our own proprietary technology. This role reports to the Technical Art Director. It requires an energetic individual to take a hands-on approach to our pipeline management and look development for our studio art team.
If you’ve done some compelling tools and technical work, are eager to make an impact, able to wear multiple hats, and are open to new challenges, we’d like to hear from you.
- Develop custom workflows using scripts and coded tools solutions for the art team
- Maintain the integrity of art pipelines by identifying inefficiencies and recommending and implementing improvements
- Troubleshoot key pipeline issues and solve core problems in cooperation with the development team
- Support the technical art needs of our client-facing project requirements and partner expectations
- Facilitate technical art communication across disciplines by providing clear and constructive feedback and guidance
- Collaborate with a diverse team to promote innovation and refine the visual quality of our games
Skills & Requirements
- 5+ years game industry experience, 3+ specifically in a technical artist role
- Experience developing pipelines, including Substance Designer, Substance Painter, or Houdini
- Shipped 1+ AAA title as a Technical Artist
- Tech-fluency in at least one development language, such as Python, MEL, C# or C++
- Expert-level familiarity with at least one or more industry level DCC applications. (Maya, Max, Blender, Modo)
- Experience working in multiple 3D game engines
- Experience working on a wide range of tech art projects, in terms of art tools, graphics engines, and game hardware
- Expert-level familiarity with developing tools for environment art creation and workflow
- Able to present (internally and externally) a clear vision of how work addresses problems and requirements
- Excellent communication, documentation and organizational skills
- A desire to work in a diverse and inclusive environment
- Broad interest in real-time rendering technologies and art asset creation tools
- Shipped at least one project as a Senior Technical Artist with Unreal Engine
- Able to create/own multiple shaders and material pipelines for a AAA project
- Experience in managing real-time rendering, run-time analytics, and optimization
- Able to advise on, research and explore a variety of graphics systems and middleware packages
- Able to envision creative ways to leverage ideas and technologies, and integrate big picture through multiple mediums
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, Graphic Arts or related field
Certain Affinity also offers relocation for this position to assist you in the move to Austin, Texas.
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
About the Company
Would you like to work on some of the greatest franchises in gaming history? Certain Affinity brings an exceptionally talented group together to form the largest independent developer in Austin, Texas, and opened a second studio in Toronto, Canada, last year. Our company culture reflects the vibrant nature of the cities we call home. This includes a commitment to our evolution, excellence, and work-life balance. We’re best known for co-developing numerous AAA FPS games, though we are also creating compelling new games of our own.
CA has built a strong reputation as the go-to co-development partner for AAA action titles, with recent contributions to World of Tanks, Call of Duty, and DOOM. In fact, the highly prolific studio has been the lead developer or co-developer on more than 25 products across 13 different franchises, with combined sales of more than 100 million units. The company’s leadership has taken a calculated, long-term approach to building the business, and is proud of its track record in its first 10 years: profitable every year and never once laying anyone off.
Certain Affinity’s rare exposure to so many top-tier developers, publishers, technologies, and franchises has helped the company build a one of a kind, world-class team and studio ready to take the helm on original game development. The company’s 10-year anniversary marked a significant shift towards lead development, and in addition to continued co-dev work, the company has two full games in development, one licensed IP and one original IP. Certain Affinity is excited to see what the next 10 years hold.