Senior Lighting Artist
RAVEN SOFTWARE, developer of numerous award-winning games, including contributions to the blockbuster Call of Duty franchise, is looking for a passionate Senior Lighting Artist to join our team as we continue to develop the best games in the industry. This position will play a key role in the team development and coordination of our world-class Art department.
- Lead lighting implementation across multiplayer and single player levels
- Collaborate with creative directors, art directors and level leads in the development of level lighting to establish a compelling, cohesive look
- Contribute innovative and original ideas towards all aspects of game production and development
- Assist in the documentation and communication of technical and process guidelines for lighting creation and implementation
- 5+ years industry experience with at least 2 titles shipped on next gen platforms
- Proven ability to produce compelling visuals through lighting on these platforms, showcased in a portfolio demonstrating considerable range of experience with lighting of environments and characters; cinematics a plus
- Proactive, self-motivated, decisive and results-oriented; able to translate visual reference or concept effectively into the game without direct supervision
- Expertise in development & implementation of lighting systems and post-process effects
- Excellent understanding of color and color theory, space, material and light in relation to their application in games
- Excellent understanding of game engines, tools, pipelines and development processes
- Able to collaborate with the team leads to achieve solutions that work for all disciplines
- Open to criticism but also possessing an excellent capacity to solve creative and technical problems, and present a compelling vision
- Ability to research and develop lighting techniques; envision or address tools needs, report and solve bugs
- Proficiency with color grading and shader development
- Digital matte painting experience; skybox generation through digital matte painting techniques and/or procedural tools, such as Vue
- Plusses: environment, texture, model, effects or similar asset creation; photography; traditional art skills; scripting
- A strong portfolio that showcases lighting techniques.
The ideal candidate will also have:
- Knowledge of the Call of Duty franchise.
- Strong understanding of the FPS gameplay including knowledge of the best-in-class games in the genre.
Located in Madison, Wisconsin, RAVEN SOFTWARE offers an upscale work environment with state-of-the-art workstations, competitive compensation, a fun, collaborative environment, affordable living and an exceptional quality of life.
Skills & Requirements
- Development and implementation of lighting systems
- Understanding of color and color theory
- Understanding of game engines, tools, and pipelines
- Color grading
- Shader development
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
-- Please apply directly on the Raven website --
About the Company
Founded in 1990 by brothers Brian and Steve Raffel, Raven Software has gone from a five-person company with a dream of creating a role-playing game for the Amiga, to the developer of numerous award-winning games and best-selling titles, including Hexen, Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast, Marvel: Ultimate Alliance, and most recently being a major contributor to the Call of Duty® franchise.
At Raven, we’ve built our company on expectations. An expectation to always design the games that define industry standards for graphics and playability. An expectation that award-winning games are the norm. But more than anything, a clear understanding of our market’s expectations: that being, for us to consistently produce the games that people want to play. In other words, exactly everything we’ve been doing since 1990.