Visual Concepts is one of the world’s top game development studios with a flat, entrepreneurial, and non-corporate work environment. We have a proven track record having shipped over 100 multi-SKU titles to great critical acclaim.
Our studio in Foothill Ranch, CA is committed to gaming and technical innovation and offers top candidates the opportunity to learn and grow with some of the smartest and most creative minds in the industry.
We are seeking an Art Lead to join our development efforts on an exciting new open world project! Within this role, you’ll be the creative driver of all art aspects for this project, from the design and development to the supervision over environment, character, and visual effects. You’ll work closely with the art team at large, and other partners and stakeholders, to set and lead quality standards with profound knowledge of techniques and technical limitation requirements. With a passion for excellence, you’ll drive high standards, mentor and support team members, and push for creative collaboration across the project.
- Lead a team of onsite and offsite artists to create engaging, memorable, and stunning visuals
- Drive the visual style and quality in conjunction with art team leads
- Motivate and inspire the art team, ensuring they push (but don’t break) the artistic style
- Produce finished art of an exceptional visual quality and technical performance
- Work to develop solutions for any issues that may arise
- Clearly and effectively communicate with all levels of the studio/project
Skills & Requirements
- Proven experience working as a Lead or Senior Artist on at least 1 AAA game
- 5+ years’ experience within the video game industry
- Ability to work within an established art style yet push the boundaries of what’s possible
- Strong understanding of art fundamentals and visual design (with excellent knowledge of visual composition and color theory)
- Ability to effectively speak to, work with, and drive multiple art disciplines such as concept, environment, character, tech art, VFX, and outsource
- Problem solving skills
- A great team player, able to communicate in a respectable, constructive, and to-the-point manner
- Solid knowledge of current game art production pipelines and workflows
- A deep understanding of a variety of art 2D and 3D software packages, knowledge of engine and tool sets necessary to generate assets
- Ability to accept feedback and adapt to it
- A willingness to roll up your sleeves to get the job done!
- Excellent drawing/illustration skills
- Experience with Unreal Engine – a big plus!
Along with your application, please submit a portfolio of professional or personal work samples, demonstrating successful understanding and application of industry standard practices.
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
About the Company
Visual Concepts has been a driving force in the videogame industry for more than 30 years. We have made some of the coolest and most high profile games anywhere, across almost every conceivable hardware platform, and are dedicated to putting the consumer first through great technology, innovation and passion for true excellence in gaming. At studios located throughout California, China, South Korea, and Hungary we are always looking for the best and brightest to join our team. Check out our open positions. If you see something that sparks your interest and matches with your experience, we would love to hear from you.