Technical Animation Director
Technical Animation Director
343 Industries is looking for a Technical Animation Director to join our team, working on the future of Halo. As the Technical Animation Director, you are central to driving the design and development of our Animation technology, with the vision & experience to build state of the art workflows and run-time animation systems that enable compelling and believable animation in our game engine. You will manage a team of technical animators and help bridge the gap between our animation team and animation developers with the goal of designing the systems and workflows that empower our animation team to bring our world to life and help us build an immersive, exciting Halo experience.
You must also have the technical skills to support animators, designers and developers and have a passion for both animation technology and character driven games. If you’re a passionate, talented and driven Technical Animation Director who wants to work on a team investing big in the future on one of the most exciting franchises in the industry, this is where you should be.
As the Technical Animation Director, you will drive the design of our future run-time animation systems, pipeline, and authoring workflows from Maya/Motionbuilder to our game engine.
- Partner with the Animation Director, Animation Leads and Animation Developers to oversee the creation and maintenance of these systems. With the goal of increasing animation quality, iteration and performance.
- Partner with our internal engine team to improve upon existing UX and UI’s and/or develop new solutions to improve animation workflow efficiency.
- Author and/or oversee custom animation tool development in Maya/Motionbuilder via MEL/Python.
- Work directly with Animators, Technical Animators and programmers to troubleshoot our proprietary animation tools and pipelines.
- Work in our proprietary in-game animation tool to bring our characters to life by designing and building complex motion trees, layering, and blending systems.
- Grow and manage a team of technical animators
- Tools development, training and documentation for the animation team
Skills & Requirements
Qualifications and Skills:
- 5+ years’ game industry experience working on the technical side of Animation in games on one or more shipped game titles.
- Previous leadership and/or management experience.
- A portfolio that demonstrates technical animation experience in any of the following areas: Maya, Motionbuilder, node graphs, animation trees, similar engine editors and 3rd party animation technologies.
- Expert knowledge of AAA animation pipelines, tools, software and 3rd party solutions.
- Experience with both Maya & Motionbuilder.
- Experience implementing animation in game engines such as Unreal, Unity, or other proprietary in-game animation engines with a thorough understanding of blend trees, IK, state machines, tagging, and scripting.
- Knowledge of performance capture pipelines, processes and data manipulation
- Prior tools development, training and documentation experience.
- Passion for making groundbreaking games, with an appreciation of current industry trends.
Preferred Qualifications and Skills:
- MEL Scripting, Python, C# or programming experience.
- Experience creating applications and tools with C# or C++ is a bonus.
- Experience working in Feature Animation and/or Game Cinematic pipelines/toolsets.
- Proficiency with dynamic IK, character physics (Havok), ragdoll and rigging / animation for use with those systems.
- Strong understanding of the principles of animation and how best to adapt those to create believable characters and experiences.
- Production animation experience.
- A passion for the Halo Universe.
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
Please visit the Microsoft Careers website to apply:
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request to https://careers.microsoft.com/us/en/accommodationrequest
About the Company
343 Industries has a single mission: Build incredible Halo experiences. 343 Industries is part of Microsoft Studios, and the steward of the Halo universe. We build the stories, the worlds, and the gameplay that make Halo such an iconic and innovative franchise.
Halo is one of the largest entertainment properties in the world. With over 65 million games sold, New York Times best-selling novels, action figures, apparel and much, much more, this multi-billion dollar franchise has revolutionized console gaming and established a rich and expansive universe for its devoted fans. This is your chance to contribute your passion and vision to one of the most exciting intellectual properties and on one of the most talented teams in the industry.