Insomniac Games is looking for artists who specialize in environments to come and join our outsourcing group. These artists are responsible for integrating art assets from external vendors who will create assets to be used by the environment team and supplying actionable feedback on the art creation process during development. Keep reading!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Creates comprehensive briefs, best practice documentation and OS packages to send to external vendors, with guidance from the Outsourcing (OS) Manager, and the Outsourcing (OS) Project Manager.
- Provides actionable feedback to vendors at key stages of asset creation: Low poly, high poly/sculpt, material bake and final delivery phases.
- Helps direct vendor work on multiple asset types including but not limited to hard surface, organic, vegetation, vehicles, materials and graphic design, under guidance and direction from the OS Manager, OS Project Manager, Art Director, and Lead Artists.
- Optimizes and polishes assets after external delivery including UVs, baking, material and texture adjustments and optimization.
- Works with environment artists to ensure Greymesh models, reference images and concept art is provided for all OS work with external partners.
- Has intricate knowledge of art tools and best practices for building environments including Maya/Max, Substance Designer, Photoshop, Zbrush, xNormal
- Maintains consistent style under the direction of the Art Director and Lead Artists.
- Other duties may be assigned.
Skills & Requirements
Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree (B.A) from a four-year college or university in Computer Art, Illustration, Game Design or Product Design or similar; or two to four years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Prior experience working with external vendors is preferred.
- Proficient in modeling, sculpting, baking and UV layout in Maya, Max, or equivalent.
- Proficient in texture and material creation with Photoshop, Substance Painter, Substance Designer.
- Experience with ZBrush or other sculpting generating software a plus.
- Proficient foundational skills, including composition, design, and color theory.
- Proficient traditional painting skills and ability to create models and shaders for a range of art directions, from photorealistic to stylized.
- Ability to meet deadlines under tight schedules.
- Willingness to receive direction and work closely with a team.
How to Apply
If this sounds like the opportunity you have been looking for – then we would like to hear from you. Please note- this is a project hire – with an anticipated end date. Just head to our website - https://insomniac.games and go to the careers page. Please use the link associated with this role and apply directly. Thanks!
About the Company
Insomniac Games has created and developed award-winning video game franchises across multiple platforms for 25 years, selling more than 70 million games along the way. We’re best known for developing the PlayStation®4 smash-hit, Marvel's Spider-Man (2018), and creating iconic PlayStation franchises such as Spyro the Dragon (1998), Ratchet & Clank (2002) and Resistance (2005). With studios in Burbank, Calif. and Durham, NC, Insomniac has earned 20 local, regional, state and national awards for our workplace culture. You can learn more about us at https://insomniac.games.