Lead Character Technical Artist
Microsoft Game Studios' 343 Industries is looking for a Lead Character Technical Artist to help develop new character experiences in the Halo universe. As the Lead Character Technical Artist, you will drive the development of tools, frameworks, workflows and uphold content quality to achieve the goals of the studio and project. You will be working closely with technical artists, modelers, animators, designers and developers to build the future of Halo characters and combat. If you’re a passionate, talented and driven Character Technical Artist who wants to work on one of the most exciting and creative intellectual properties in the industry, this is where you need to be.
The ideal candidate is both an outstanding technical artist, as well as a great leader and mentor. We are looking for a veteran with excellent collaboration and communication skills who can both inspire and teach others to do their best work and support them in doing so.
Skills & Requirements
- Lead a team of character technical artists.
- Collaborate with engineering, design and art to achieve project goals.
- Become an expert in workflows and pipelines through content creation, identifying simplifications and improvements, then plan to achieve those improvements.
- Demonstrates, communicates and exemplifies clear expectations for quality of work, productivity, communication and professionalism to the team.
- Develop tools, scripts, plugins to streamline processes.
- Review team code to ensure high-quality development.
- Excel as a team player and strive to maximize team/department performance and collaboration.
Knowledge, Experience and Skills:
- Degree in Computer Science, Commercial Art or related fields.
- 7+ years or more of production experience within the fields of Rigging/Character Technical Art.
- Expert knowledge in Python and MEL.
- Expert knowledge of Maya for animation and rigging.
- Expert knowledge of Animation principles and Kinematics.
- Solid foundation in human anatomy and mechanical principles.
- Excellent organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to plan toward and deliver against project deadlines
- Is self-motivated and self-reliant.
- Excellent troubleshooting skills.
- Excellent communication skills.
Bonus if you have:
- Facial rigging experience.
- C# and C++ (Maya API) experience.
- 5+ years of experience in the games industry including shipping AAA console titles.
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
About the Company
343 Industries has a single mission: Build incredible Halo experiences. 343 Industries is part of Microsoft Studios, and the steward of the Halo universe. We build the stories, the worlds, and the gameplay that make Halo such an iconic and innovative franchise.
Halo is one of the largest entertainment properties in the world. With over 65 million games sold, New York Times best-selling novels, action figures, apparel and much, much more, this multi-billion dollar franchise has revolutionized console gaming and established a rich and expansive universe for its devoted fans. This is your chance to contribute your passion and vision to one of the most exciting intellectual properties and on one of the most talented teams in the industry.