Supervisor, Environment Art
Supervisor, Environment Art
Sony Bend Studio, world-class creator of Days Gone, Uncharted: Golden Abyss, and Syphon Filter, is seeking outstanding talent to join our hardworking and creative family in crafting our next high-profile AAA console title.
Living in Bend, Oregon means saying goodbye to gridlock, concrete, and pollution. Use your Extra Life to shred at Mt. Bachelor, drag a line in the Deschutes River, hike in the wild, or perfect your game. Plug into adventure and community at Bend Studio!
We are seeking a Supervisor, Environment Art who will contribute to the artistic vision and development of a AAA product, utilizing a combination of traditional fine art and technical art skills. This is a leadership role, focused on team cohesion and career development of environment artists, as well as identifying areas of improvement and serving as a liaison to other cross-disciplinary teams. Must possess the ability to collaborate at a high level with a wide-range of development team members outside of direct discipline such as Directors, Designers, Technical Artists, and Programmers to achieve the highest artistic quality as they relate to the game design and within technological considerations.
Responsibilities and Functions:
- Create stunning organic and hard surface 3D models for industry leading AAA titles.
- Produce rich materials and shaders that complement and enhance the 3D models.
- Drive high visual quality standards while leading other team members and/or creating content that defines the visual standard.
- Collaborate with the art and design teams to layout game areas which are engaging and visually inspiring.
- Work closely with the art director/manager and team leads to deliver and maintain the established art style.
- Troubleshoot and provide solutions to issues related to asset creation, performance, and technical requirements.
- Work well within the team environment and be able to initiate and lead other team members.
- Independently undertake research and information to ensure game design needs and artistic direction are met.
- Proactively stay up on new software, processes and industry trends and share the knowledge with the team.
- Work closely with Tech art and Engineers to create efficient pipelines and workflows to boost the Environment team’s productivity and efficiency.
Skills & Requirements
Requirements & Skills:
- A strong portfolio illustrating proficiency as a leader in the Environment Art space
- Advanced experience with real-time 3D packages such as Unreal, Crytek, or Unity and/or proprietary AAA engines.
- Experience with development of proprietary engines, tools and workflows is a plus.
- Expert understanding of Maya/Max, Photoshop, and Z-Brush/Mudbox.
- Proficient at texture and material creation - Photoshop and Substance Painter/Designer.
- Solid understanding of PBR materials and shaders.
- Professional experience working on current generation games.
- Effective communicator with art staff, cross-discipline leads, and other studio disciplines.
- Highly motivated and proactive, consistent productivity with minimal supervision.
- Ability to collaborate and contribute effectively in a team environment.
- 8+ years of experience in a game production environment.
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Experience building a team of quality artists.
- Ability to lead, mentor and teach other artists.
- Strong communication/listening, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- A desire to innovate and to go above and beyond in pursuit of excellence.
- Keeps aware of industry trends and techniques, evaluates competitive products, and determines areas we can improve or innovate in to best the competition, communicates innovations in a convincing way and collaborates with the leadership team to develop plans for implementation.
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
Contact Dan Lowery at email@example.com. Please send a portfolio and resume.
Also please apply at the following link: https://boards.greenhouse.io/sonyinteractiveentertainmentplaystation/jobs/3105945
About the Company
Founded in 1993, Bend Studio is a team of over 100+ veteran engineers, artists, designers, and support staff who are dedicated to excellence and innovation. We have the close-knit environment and camaraderie of a small studio, where everyone knows everyone, while at the same time enjoying the stability and security provided by being part of Sony Interactive Entertainment. We are dedicated to producing only AAA award-winning games that showcase the power of current and future game consoles from Sony Interactive Entertainment.