Senior Concept Artist
Are you an established and highly capable Concept Artist, able to visualise beautiful environments, far-out characters, fascinating creatures and beyond? Are you looking for an opportunity in a studio renowned for its iconic visual style, in which you could be working on incredibly exciting projects? You might be our next Senior Concept Artist!
Rare are looking for a Senior Concept Artist to join our team, one who is an expert in their field and will work as part of a focused team to bring briefs to life. Reporting to the Art Lead, our Senior will be able to creatively express ideas quickly and be able to effectively adapt to established work processes, set styles and work deadlines.
You would be joining Rare at an incredibly exciting point of development in our 30-year history, working on 2 completely unique projects including Sea of Thieves, our ultimate Pirate adventure and the recently announced Everwild.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a world-class art team, where your ideas could help shape the worlds we create!
- Create outstanding concept artwork that helps guide the tone, mood and aesthetic as defined by the Art Director.
- Create character, creature, weapon and item concepts including detailed callouts for production-ready asset creation.
- Iterate on game assets via paintovers and studies, and input into group critiques to self-improve.
- Take art and design requirements and provide creative solutions to challenging briefs.
- Take ownership of any given task or brief.
Skills & Requirements
- Established experience in game development as a 2D Artist specialising in game art/illustration.
- Strong understanding of digital art creation tools such as Photoshop, Painter etc.
- An excellent foundation in illustration skills and deep understanding of human/creature anatomy, colour theory, shape and form, language and silhouette.
- Great eye for light, value, composition, colour, staging, architecture and detail in environmental design.
- Comfortable working in a predefined art style or able to explore the undefined.
- Self-motivated with excellent communication skills and a great team-player attitude.
- Shipped at least one AAA console/PC title as a Concept Artist.
- A creative and passionate approach to problem-solving.
- Able to take and interpret direction and criticism.
- Understanding of 3D pipelines (ZBrush, 3D-Coat experience).
- Able to effectively collaborate with Game Design and Art teams.
- A love of stylised artwork/games.
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
Rare are part of Xbox Game Studios, Microsoft.
About the Company
Rare is a one-of-a-kind game studio where we create the kind of games the world doesn’t have, that are uniquely Rare!
Join us at one of our most exciting stages of development with 2 extraordinary projects coming out of the studio. Launched in 2018, on-going development of the ultimate pirate adventure game Sea of Thieves, enjoyed by millions of players worldwide as well as the captivating and beautiful new IP, Everwild, announced to a global audience in 2019.
Our rich heritage includes beloved titles such as Banjo-Kazooie, Battletoads, Viva Piñata and Perfect Dark, all drawn together in the 30-game compilation Rare Replay to mark our 30th anniversary. As a studio rich in ideas, we're always striving to build games that players will adore and return to time and time again.
We employ around 150 game developers at our custom-built facility in Twycross, in the heart of the English countryside with winding forest paths, wildlife and enough room for us to grow!
As an artist at Rare, you can expect to work alongside some of the most creative and knowledgeable people in the industry. Our artists have significant input into the creation of Rare's iconic games and characters, so why not join us and make your own mark on one of the world's most well-loved studios?