Senior Technical Animator
Are you a Technical Animator looking to work on unique and innovative AAA game experiences? Do you revel in problem-solving and working independently as well as in a collaborative team? You may be our next hire!
You would be joining Rare at an incredibly exciting point of development in our 30-year history, working on 2 completely unique projects including Sea of Thieves, our ultimate Pirate adventure and the recently announced Everwild.
As part of the Technical Animation team, you will work alongside Animators and Engineers helping to develop, implement and maintain in-game animation systems that show off our animations at their very best and enhance player experience.
As part of a creative team, your Animator's artistic eye and the ability to offer creative technical solutions are a sought-after skill we need. We are looking for an Animator with a proven interest in both the creative and technical aspects of animation. The role will be hands-on with Unreal Engine and experience with Blueprints is a bonus, but scripting experience in any language is acceptable.
- Work closely with Art, Design and Engineering teams to achieve different briefs.
- Plan, implement and maintain in-game technical animation solutions which are elegant, reliable, user-friendly and performant.
- Help to drive the direction of our animation systems and undertake R&D into new techniques and pipelines.
- Be a point of contact for technical issues inside the Animation team, and between Animation and Engineering.
- Assist with technical knowledge sharing across the Animation team.
- Maintain clear and concise documentation for use by internal and external teams.
Skills & Requirements
- Shipped at least one AAA console/PC title as a Technical Animator or as an Animator with significant technical animation experience.
- Confident experience building and maintaining in-game technical animation systems including state machines and IK setups.
- Thorough knowledge of Unreal desirable, though experience with other engines such as Unity or CryEngine is acceptable; a basic understanding of Unreal native C++ code would be advantageous.
- Knowledge of one or more scripting/programming languages such as Python/C++/C#/HLSL.
- Up-to-date knowledge of current technical animation techniques and systems.
- Knowledge of animation software such as Maya, MotionBuilder or 3ds Max.
- Able to adapt to new technologies and pipelines.
- Able to take ownership and drive technical solutions.
- Working remotely is an option
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
Rare are part of Xbox Game Studios, Microsoft.
About the Company
Rare is a one-of-a-kind game studio where we create the kind of games the world doesn't have, games that are uniquely Rare!
Join us at one of our most exciting stages of development with 2 extraordinary projects in the works at Rare! Launched in 2018, on-going development of the ultimate pirate adventure game Sea of Thieves, enjoyed by millions of players worldwide as well as the captivating and beautiful new IP, Everwild, announced to a global audience in 2019.
Our other games include Rare Replay, a compilation of 30+ games from our rich history including Banjo Kazooie, Battletoads, Viva Pinata and many more! As a studio with a lot of ideas, we are always striving to build games players will adore and return to time and time again.
Set in the heart of the English countryside at our custom-built facility in Twycross, UK, we employ around 150+ game developers working together.
As an Artist at Rare, you can expect to work alongside some of the most creative and knowledgable people in the industry. Our artists are what make Rare's games so recognisable with an iconic style and characters cherished by players worldwide. Why not join us and make your mark on one of the world's most loved studios?