Iron Galaxy Studios is looking for a talented, passionate, and motivated Senior Artist to join our team as a key collaborator in executing the artistic vision of our projects. We are a well-established independent game developer who has partnered with the titans of our industry to ship more high-caliber games than any other independent developer. We’re known for our excellent work on Killer Instinct, as well as bringing Skyrim and Diablo III to the Nintendo Switch. We also pride ourselves on being a studio that does amazing work while maintaining a positive culture and supporting work-life balance for our employees.
Working closely with talented designers, artists and programmers at Iron Galaxy, the Senior Artist ensures that creative content of our projects is delivered to the highest standards. In most cases, you collaborate closely with colleagues from other disciplines to ensure on-time and high-quality achievement of our milestone goals. You might work on only one project at a time or up to three smaller projects at once.
As we continue to work on our own unannounced IP and port projects for AAA studios, our entire Art Department is passionate about games and understands the crucial intersection between art and game development. We continually push the creative and artistic skills of our colleagues, with the goal of sustaining our world-class standards while we grow. By joining our team, you can explore the limits of your imagination while gaining experience on a wide range of game development projects.
This opportunity is for a full-time position, either in Chicago, IL or Orlando, FL.
Skills & Requirements
- Create and execute on visually compelling art assets that capture the imagination and deliver on our partners’ creative vision for their projects
- Review assets and provide clear, concise feedback to elevate visual quality
- Hands-on contribution to artwork that defines and enhances the moods of our games
- Provide direction through documentation, concept art, or mood boards
- Communicate and collaborate with other development disciplines to help us develop cohesive game worlds for our players
- Work with Production to schedule and track tasks that help our art team execute on our goals as efficiently as possible
What else are we looking for? Here’s our wishlist for the ideal Lead Artist at Iron Galaxy. If you possess many or most of these qualities, you may very well be the one we’re looking for.
- Extensive experience working in interactive media and/or game development, some AAA game experience preferred
- Experience leading a creative team in crafting a distinct, cohesive visual style
- Deep expertise and experience in at least one art field (e.g., character, environment, concept)
- Significant experience working with one or more industry-standard engines, such as UE4 or Unity
- Superb ability in one or more industry-standard software applications, such as Maya, ZBrush, Substance
- Values-driven and inclusive, committed to doing the right thing and being respectful to everyone on our team
- Fearless about trying out new tools with a commitment to keeping up with the latest industry standards, best practices and approaches to creative projects
- Commitment to mentorship and exchanging knowledge, advice, and best practices with your colleagues
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
Does this sound like you? Please click here to apply today!
About the Company
Iron Galaxy is one of the world's largest independent video game developers, delivering both home-built, original experiences and partners' visions to all platforms.
In 2008 Dave Lang was working at Midway Games Chicago as its Studio Tech Director. After years of working at the Publisher, the ambiguity of Midway's financial situation led Dave to start Iron Galaxy. Originally envisioned as a tech consulting firm that would focus on helping Publishers and Developers meet their goals, Dave was the only employee for the first six months. After this period of testing the waters, Dave teamed up with several of his former teammates from Midway and the company grew into a modest, eight-person shop. In 2010, the company expanded its efforts into doing ports for publishers, with their first notable success being Street Fighter III 3rd Strike Online Edition for Capcom. This was the first project Iron Galaxy completed without another development partner.
Iron Galaxy initially made its mark in the industry as a porting house. Then in 2011, Iron Galaxy set their sights on the company's first original game, Wreckateer, which was published in 2012. After Wreckateer, the company opened up a second studio in Orlando to assist with Divekick, and after Divekick the team got a chance to work on the largest original production yet for Iron Galaxy: Killer Instinct Seasons 2 and 3. Despite these successes, the team never forgot their roots, and they still do tech consulting and ports to this day; having worked on some of their partners' most established brands like Bioshock, Call of Duty, Destiny, Batman, Elder Scrolls and Diablo 3.
Known for our excellent work on Killer Instinct, as well as bringing Skyrim and Diablo III to the Nintendo Switch, Iron Galaxy also prides itself on being a studio that does amazing work while maintaining a positive culture and supporting work-life balance for our employees.