Environment Artist (Hard Surface)
The ideal candidate must have a real passion and understanding of vehicles and ensure that this is carried through to their artwork and game integration whilst pushing the technical limitations and following the artistic direction.
Must also be able to communicate and collaborate with other disciplines within the development team and is able to take and follow creative direction from the Art Director.
Skills & Requirements
What a Hard Surface Artist does at EA:
- Become familiar with art direction and game design documents so as to know the vehicles, parts, customization, surfacing and style in order to build vehicles, parts and integrate them.
- Become familiar with the visual references and respect the chosen artistic direction (High level visual directions/Concept arts/Style ideas, etc.)
- Become familiar with tool installation methods and their settings, the project’s file nomenclature system, and the data updating processes in the engine, and follow all of the instructions of the technical director – graphics
- Work with Art Director and Vehicle lead to gather relevant reference based on high level art direction and detailed style choices.
- Work with concept artists to collaborate on design work and pre-visualization.
- Visualize concept art and document the detail design for the wider vehicle team and follow up on the game art modelling whilst reviewing visual quality.
- Work with art direction, game design and engineering to create quality artwork.
- Visualize art direction and document the detail design for the core vehicle team.
- Document art work for vehicle art bible and partner studios.
- Help establish benchmark visual quality with Art Director and Vehicle Lead.
- Help establish work estimates with DD and Vehicle Lead for art creation timings to aid prioritizing and scheduling tasks.
- Acts as a resource person for the art team both internally and our partner studios.
- Integrate vehicle art and polish:
- Setup game engine properties.
- Setup collisions and damage.
- Setup light levels.
- Apply game materials.
- Work with Vehicle Lead to constantly optimize and improve workflows, art and quality.
- Work with and understands the whole vehicle pipeline, from first polygon to final rendered game asset.
- Own their vehicles and focus on visual quality to be signed off by Vehicle Lead and Art Director.
- Owns the debug and bug fixing process of their vehicles and work with Vehicle Lead and DD to prioritize and delegate bugs.
- Supports the Art Director and Vehicle Lead with the overall vision for the game
What skills does EA look for?
- An avid car person is a necessity.
- A great understanding of vehicle form and function and their interaction with the world.
- Drawing/sketching skills that display basic skills as well as expertise in low and hi-poly modeling for video games using 3D Software such as Maya, Zbrush, Photoshop, Substance etc.
- An excellent eye for detail and focus on delivering the very best quality with the gameplay as the focus and art that enhances the experience.
- Excellent sense of form, weight (mass), and volume
- Excellent sense of creating realistic shaders and textures
- An understanding of memory and optimization
- High commitment to deadlines with ability to set realistic time estimates for their own work.
- Involved in or a part of the process to setup workflows and pipelines for art team
- Proactive and driven
- Team player and good collaboration skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- High degree of self-motivation and initiative.
- Experience in distributed development production model is a big plus.
- An avid gamer is a plus.
- Experience in vehicle design, product and/or industrial design is also a plus.
How to Apply
What’s in it for you? Glad you asked!
We love to brag about our great perks like comprehensive health and benefit packages, tuition reimbursement, RRSP company match and, of course, many other perks! And since we realize it takes world-class people to make world-class games, we offer competitive compensation packages and a culture that thrives off creativity and individuality. At EA, we live the “work hard/play hard” credo every day.
More about our location: http://careers.ea.com/our-locations/burnaby-eac
Please apply here: http://gr.8job.co/09FFy89F
About the Company
THE BEST GAMES. THE BEST TALENT.
Our creative work environment rewards new and different ideas. It’s an environment that attracts brilliant talent from around the globe. No matter which of our studio locations you join, you’ll feel the energy and support of EA’s global brand, while thriving on our world-class campuses. At EA, the excitement you feel throughout each workday is made possible by a culture that inspires you to do the best work of your career.