NetherRealm Studios seeks a Technical Artist who will be responsible for delivering Art assets for the Mobile Team. The candidate will work with the Mobile Team’s Artists, Art Lead, Studio Art Director and additional development partners to ensure production of the highest quality game assets.
- Using industry standard software packages as well as proprietary company tools, the candidate creates original or modifies existing Art assets for the assigned development project. The scope of work includes these types of Unreal 4 Engine assets: Material Libraries, Reflection Captures, Character Lighting + Scenarios, Environment Lighting, Blueprint (and legacy Matinee) sequences, VFX sequences, UI VFX and Cinematic Movie authoring. As a member of a collaborative team, the candidate also provides feedback on all Art assets.
- Plays a major role in defining processes, technical production pipelines, R&D efforts, tool enhancements and prototyping of new game features and technology. Works primarily with the Art team, but also works with Graphics Engineers and the UI/UX team.
- Implements team processes and technical training. Serves as a repository of technical knowledge for the group. Trains + assists others in learning and adhering to best practices.
- Participates in departmental meetings to build teamwork and shares personal ideas for delivering the best quality assets with efficiency. Works with team members across multiple disciplines.
Skills & Requirements
- BFA in Digital Art, Technical Art, VFX or a related discipline.
- Must possess great artistic skills and a working knowledge of 3D Art. Must possess relevant technical experience for Mobile Gaming specifically within the Unreal 4 Engine.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in a Game Studio creating Art assets.
- Experience on a published Mobile Game is a plus.
- Proficiency with Unreal 4 Engine, Maya or 3DStudio Max, Photoshop, After Effects.
- For UE4 specifically:
- Authoring Material Expressions and Parameters, MICs and Libraries
- VFX assets, sequences, materials
- Blueprint (or legacy Matinee) sequences
- Lighting: Reflection capture, Lighting Scenarios, Character and Arena lighting
- Should have working knowledge of authoring tools for real-time particle systems
- Houdini experience a plus.
- Strong understanding of modern real-time 3D Engines and Art Pipelines such as:
- Material Libraries
- Engine sequence keyframing
- LOD systems for Levels and VFX
- High to Low resolution Character Game asset reduction
- Solid organization skills with adherence to file structures, naming conventions and other established protocols.
- Excellent communication, personal, and organizational skills. The candidate follows instructions clearly to avoid errors and makes an effort to ask for clarification if needed.
- Strong interest and focus in Mobile Game Development. This position as a full time job in Mobile Development across multiple and concurrent titles, not a Console Development cycle.
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
Please apply here: Technical Artist
About the Company
The creative team that brought the Mortal Kombat franchise to life is now NetherRealm Studios, part of the Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment family. With over 20 years of creation under our belts, NetherRealm’s mission remains the same; to create cutting edge entertainment and deliver industry leading tech, game art and overall gaming experiences. NetherRealm Studios is a collaborative and creative environment, constantly striving to up the ante on what is possible in interactive entertainment. We encompass the best of both worlds – a team of dedicated professionals with years of experience, who are also at the forefront of an industry taking over the entertainment landscape. The passion and energy that made Mortal Kombat a reality is still on display every day in our offices, our hallways and most definitely the studio’s arcade room!