Principal Concept Artist
An incredibly exciting opportunity has opened up at our studio for a Principal Concept Artist.
Be part of one of the world's most recognisable studios in a vital role in the development of our games. Work alongside our Art Director and art teams to visualise new worlds and characters. Your eye for detail and vast imagination will inspire our whole studio and bring ideas to fruition.
As our ideal person, you will be an expert in your field. Working as part of a focused team, you will be able to creatively express ideas quickly and effectively and able to adapt very quickly to established work process, set styles and work deadlines.
You would be joining Rare at an incredibly exciting point of development in our 30-year history, see below for a round-up of your day to day responsibilities:
- Creating outstanding concept artwork that helps guide the tone, mood and aesthetic as defined by the Art Director.
- Build character, creature, weapon and item concepts including detailed callouts for production-ready asset creation.
- Iterate on game assets via paint overs, studies and group critique to improve overall art quality of any given element.
- Take art and design requirements and provide creative solutions to challenging briefs.
- Help others to reach that bar by mentoring and guiding more junior or less experienced colleagues.
Skills & Requirements
- A minimum of three years' experience in game development as a 2D Artist specialising in-game art/illustration.
- Strong understanding of digital art creation tools such as Photoshop and Painter.
- An excellent foundation in illustration skills and deep understanding of human/creature anatomy, colour theory, shape and form, language and silhouette.
- Great eye for light, value, composition, colour, staging, architecture and detail in environmental design.
- Comfortable working in a predefined art style or able to explore the undefined.
- Self-motivated with excellent communication skills and a great team player attitude
- Has shipped an AAA console/PC title/s as a Senior Concept Artist.
- Able to take and interpret direction and criticism.
- Understanding of 3D pipelines (ZBrush, Blender, Maya experience).
- A love of stylised artwork/games.
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
Rare are part of Xbox Game Studios, Microsoft.
About the Company
An Xbox game studio with a 34-year pedigree, doing what we adore and creating games that players love to keep playing!
Creators of the quintessential pirate adventure game Sea of Thieves which reached its first-year anniversary in March 2019. Our other titles include Rare Replay, a compilation of 30+ games from our rich history including Banjo Kazooie, Battletoads, Viva Pinata and many more! As a studio with a lot of ideas, we are always striving to build games players will adore and return to time and time again.
Set in the heart of the English countryside at our custom-built facility in Twycross, UK, we employ around 150+ game developers working together.
As an Artist at Rare, you can expect to work alongside some of the most creative and knowledgable people in the industry. Our artists are what make Rare's games so recognisable with an iconic style and characters cherished by players worldwide. Why not join us and make your mark on one of the world's most loved studios?