- Work with the Development Management Team to execute the determined style and tone of animation for the final product
- Responsible, as an individual contributor, for creating high quality exemplar animation that sets the standards for the team for both in-game and cinematic animation
- Champion the project’s goals and inspire the Animation team to achieve the vision, through actionable tasks.
- Collaborate with Design, Engineering and the Technical Animation staff on animation pipeline
- Coordinate with Development Management Team to understand the evolving needs of the studio
- Evaluate and promote the use of appropriate techniques and systems to support animation goals
- Develop and implement quality assurance protocols to review and approve animation work
- Anticipate and recognize potential conflicts or production issues and recommend solutions
- Mentor a team of animators, supporting and promoting a growth mindset amongst the staff.
- Handle performance evaluations, bonus reviews, and any necessary disciplinary plans for direct reports
- Recommend promotions for individuals within the team
- Responsible for having 1-1 meetings to understand the career goals for individuals within the group
*This job description outlines primary duties and requirements and is not intended to identify all tasks that may be performed; individuals occupying the position may be required to perform other duties. The company may modify job duties from time to time, either in practice or in writing.
Skills & Requirements
SUMMARY OF REQUIREMENTS
- Must have a robust portfolio of high-quality hand-keyed animation work in a variety of styles
- Demonstrated ability to use independent judgment and creativity in developing animation to support art direction and theme as defined by Art Director
- Leadership Skills:
- Self-starter with proactive attitude to improve own qualifications
- Passion for sharing insights and ability to coach less experienced people
- Demonstrated leadership in organizing efforts involving multiple collaborators
- Excellent communication, organizational, personal, and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to build and manage teams, provide leadership, and creatively solve problems
- Thorough understanding of animation technical requirements for video game production pipelines
- Able to critique animations by using various techniques like draw-overs, demos, etc,
- Able to problem solve issues that can occur during the various stages of the animation pipeline from creating the animation to implementing in game.
- Technical Experience with Animation for video game software:
- Experience using industry standard tracking and communication software such as Jira, Confluence, etc.
- Experience working with 3D software, Maya preferred.
- Experience working with animation trees or any other node-based animation systems.
- Familiarity with current rigging methods and evaluating rigs for game and cinematic animations.
- Experience with rigging characters is a plus.
- Experience with already established IP is a plus.
- Prior Cinematics experience is a plus.
- Undergraduate degree in art related subject; or completion of an intensive art training program; or equivalent independent study and experience.
We are an equal opportunity employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans....valuing diversity…celebrating strengths.
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
About the Company
Founded in 1998, Retro Studios is a wholly owned subsidiary of Nintendo Company, Ltd. Retro is a state-of-the-art game development studio, working in conjunction with Nintendo to bring award-winning games to Nintendo's cutting-edge next-generation platforms. Retro Studios is in beautiful Austin, Texas. With rolling hills, scenic waterways, abundant wildlife, vibrant music and film scenes, and a laid-back cosmopolitan culture, Austin is a dynamic city with an excellent quality of life. Austin's sunny weather also supports a great range of outdoor activities, providing plenty of venues for top-notch game developers to recharge and unwind.