Cloud Imperium Games is looking for an experienced Character Artist to join our team!
This candidate will collaborate with the Character art team to develop celebrity characters, creatures, and armor for Star Citizen. In this role they will create AAA quality characters for use in gameplay, cinematics, and marketing materials.
This person will be working at the cutting-edge of development for the record-breaking crowd-funded project, space-simulation FPS MMO “Star Citizen” and the action-packed cinematic story campaign “Squadron 42” with its star-studded cast including Mark Hamill, Gillian Anderson, John Rhys-Davies, and Mark Strong (to name just a few).
- Be responsible for executing photo realistic heads and hair for all required characters in Star Citizen
- Creating characters, creatures, and armor based on concept art or reference photos
- Collaborate with the Art Director and concept artists to set the visual style and quality bar
- Build clean topology with high consideration for animation
- Give and receive feedback from Concept and other Character Artists
- and such other duties and responsibilities assigned by Cloud Imperium Games reasonably consistent with employee’s skills and experience
Skills & Requirements
- 3+ years shipped game title experience
- You are able to create believable characters that are full of life and personality in high-poly and low-poly models as well as textures
- You have experience in making photo-realistic heads and hair
- You posses an intimate knowledge of human anatomy and form
- Ability to adapt to and innovate new styles and techniques
- Strong organic modeling skills (human faces, clothing, realistic creatures)
- Strong hard-surface modeling skills (armor and props)
- Knowledge of major 3D software packages (Maya, Max, and ZBrush)
- High degree of initiative
- Self-starter who looks for opportunities to make improvements
- Must be willing to work in Los Angeles, California and to work closely with different time zones.
- International travel may be required as part of the role
- Experience with X-gen
- Experience working with real-time in-game hair
- Passion for sci-fi games
How to Apply
This position is offered at our Los Angeles Studio by Cloud Imperium Games LLC.
If you feel you have something to offer this role, even if you don’t think you qualify for all the above, you should still apply – we are an inclusive employer and if you have potential, talent and a great work ethic, we want to hear from you.
About the Company
Cloud Imperium Games is a new kind of independent studio dedicated to delivering AAAexperiences outside the established publisher system, Founded by Chris Roberts, creator of the best selling Wing Commander and Freelancer series, Cloud Imperium is currently developing Star Citizen, a record-shattering crowd funded title that combines classic space sim gameplay with Hollywood-caliber visuals
Cloud Imperium aims to pave new ground in game development by sharing the process with the players. Where game development was once hidden, Cloud Imperium has opted to share the process with those backing Star Citizen. Supporters come to know the team and follow them every step of the way as the game created. The community is closely engaged and their feedback Is considered in all aspects of game development, avoiding standard publicity to put Roberts’ epic vision directly in players’ hands.
Cloud Imperium Games Corporation was founded in April 2012 by renowned game developer Chris Roberts (Wing Commander, Freelancer, Privateer) and his business partner and long-time international media attorney Ortwin Freyermuth. Under Roberts leadership using his long-standing relationships in the game space, Cloud Imperium quickly assembled a top tier development team for the creation of art assets, story elements, and an extensive prototype for its first game Star Citizen. Star Citizen is being marketed and launched via robertsspaceindustries.com.
Cloud Imperium has studios in Los Angeles, California ; Austin, Texas ; Manchester, UK and Frankfurt, Germany.