Insomniac Games is looking for a leader on our lighting team! The Lighting Lead supervises and helps maintain the quality and artistic consistency of the lighting department by upholding high visual standards set by the Art Director. This lead artist has an overall mastery of lighting technology, tools pipelines, and departmental production dependencies with a high proficiency in both written and oral communication, time and people management. The Lighting Lead also helps implement new production methods to improve performance and efficiency and will have a superior understanding of how to create and execute production schedules, and meet project goals. In consideration of art, animation, and design concerns they help to set best practices and technical pipelines for the lighting department.
Skills & Requirements
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Develops, engages, and facilitates the success of the lighting department within the studio
- Engages and mentors lighting artists to ensure team cohesion and helps develop both short and long-term career goals advised by the Department Head.
- Participates in the overall planning and scope of the lighting needs for a project
- Works with other departments to ensure that lighting assets are delivered in a timely manner
- Supervises bug distribution and verifies critical bug fixes with the lighting team and Quality Assurance departments
- Can provide feedback to lighting artists with technical feedback
- Can help advance and improve project lighting quality through reviews of lighting work with a critical, artistic eye
- Works with Project Management to help create and maintain clear and consistent schedules
- Can help troubleshoot rendering issues and bottlenecks within the lighting pipeline
- Can be called upon to render characters/weapons/objects and special setups for Marketing when necessary
- Works closely with Art Director and senior lighting staff to keep lighting quality and style consistent across all lighting scenarios for a project
- Can ramp up new hires with the help of other senior lighting staff.
- Other duties may be assigned
Supervisory Responsibilities: Supervises employees in the lighting discipline and is responsible for carrying out duties in accordance with the studio's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include but are not limited to interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Education and/or Experience:
- Master's degree (M. A.) or equivalent; ten or more years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Superior understanding of node-based shaders and how they relate to lighting.
- Solid understanding of scripting lighting interactions.
- Superior understanding of Maya and Photoshop.
- Superior knowledge of modern lighting techniques.
- Understands source control with Perforce or the equivalent.
Other Skills: Superior understanding of lighting aesthetic, how lighting affects gameplay and guides the player, of real-time lighting and frame/ memory optimization, how lighting affects physically based materials.
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
If this sounds like the role for you, please submit your application along with an updated portfolio using the link below.
About the Company
Insomniac Games has created and developed award-winning video game franchises across multiple platforms for 25 years, selling more than 70 million games along the way. We’re best known for developing the PlayStation®4 smash-hit, Marvel's Spider-Man (2018), and creating iconic PlayStation franchises such as Spyro the Dragon (1998), Ratchet & Clank (2002) and Resistance (2005). With studios in Burbank, Calif. and Durham, NC, Insomniac has earned 20 local, regional, state and national awards for our workplace culture. You can learn more about us at https://insomniac.games.