Lead UI Artist [Avatar Project] (f/m/d)
As Lead UI Artist [Avatar Project] (f/m/d) you will be responsible for creating high quality, modern interface solutions, 2D artworks and animations for our games as well as managing, training and leading a team of UI artists.
This position will be located at Ubisoft Blue Byte, Düsseldorf (Germany).
Skills & Requirements
- Create modern Interface Designs from conception to final quality
- Translate high-level gameplay ideas into visual functional UI Designs
- Establish logical, readable UI solutions and usability strategies
- Set Best Practices in terms of Artistic Quality
- Push the visual and technical quality of the Interface art to the next level
- Ensure a productive and efficient workflow for the UI art team through excellent internal and external communication.
- Close collaboration with the Art Director, Producers, Design and Code Leads to ensure the team works within the defined direction.
- Establish a prospering art culture within the team to strive for exceptional quality.
- Balance quality and efficiency of the team to gain the best possible results within in the given time frame and technical constraints
- Prioritize and manage the UI art team’s tasks to ensure delivery in time and quality.
- Communicate ideas & concepts with international teams and stakeholders
- Assist Engineers to ensure implementation reflects the Design Vision
- Develop flexible designs that ensure extension and further development
- Layout and implement HUD & Menu designs
- Provide good Information Hierarchy that enhances the player experience
- Create convincing UI animations to drive attention and offer guidance for players
- Provide support and advice for artists
- Expert in Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects or Flash
- Very good sense for Motion design / Motion graphics
- Proficient in creating ideas, prototyping / wire-framing and final realization
- Profound graphic design skills (design, layout, typography)
- Think critically and conceptually
- Be forward thinking and anticipate the needs of your project
- Good ability to anticipate user behavior
- Great communication skills, a positive attitude and experience in leading a team of artists
- Very good organizational skills and the ability to anticipate problems and find solutions fast
- The ability to review the work of other artists and give feedback efficiently and in a clear and constructive manner.
- Exceptional knowledge of next gen interface creation workflows with the ability to modify and improve them
Knowledge and Experience
Work experience of at least 4 years in the Video Game industry
- Proven UI Experience on at least one shipped title
- Great knowledge in Animation (2d or 3d)
- Profound knowledge of UI implementation processes in video game projects
- Good working knowledge on UX related topics (Information hierarchy, UX heuristics, principles of human computer interaction)
- Familiar with industry game engines and prototyping workflows
- Practical experience with data management software (perforce)
- Fluent in English, both verbally and written
- Strong compositing skills and video editing skills are a plus (After effects, Premiere)
- Storyboarding skills are a plus
- Scripting skills are a plus
- Being an avid gamer is a plus
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
It is required that you submit a portfolio of your work with your application. You may do so by providing a link to an online portfolio (preferred), or attaching documents to your resume.
All portfolios must contain a detailed shot breakdown of the work. It must be very clear what you, the applicant, are responsible for in your reel, portfolio, screenshots etc.
The portfolio should contain the following:
- Examples of modern layouts and screen design
- Examples of dynamic motion design and interface animations
- Examples of style variety
- Examples of icons and other UI elements
About the Company
Ubisoft is a leading producer, publisher and distributor of interactive entertainment products worldwide and has grown considerably through a strong and diversified line-up of products and partnerships. Ubisoft has development studios in 28 countries and sells video games in more than 55 countries around the globe.
We are committed to delivering high-quality, cutting-edge video game titles to players. In our German offices in Düsseldorf, Mainz and Berlin, we are working on brands like “Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Siege”, “For Honor", "Skull & Bones", “The Settlers”, “Anno” and many more.
- Flexible working hours
- External training, education in our in-house guilds and knowledge sharing with other teams
- Fresh fruit, discounted gym membership, support for child care
- Subsidized lunch meals, free bike rental or lease your own bike!
- Share ideas! = Working in an innovative and international company
If you are passionate about video games and would like to work with like-minded professionals with an international team, please apply via our career portal.
Applications should include your resume, a cover letter with the earliest starting date, your salary expectation and why you would like to joins us.