Senior/Experienced Character Artist - THE CHINESE ROOM, BRIGHTON
The Chinese Room is looking for a highly talented and creative Senior Character Artist to join our amazing new team. Plugging straight into a project already in pre-production, you’ll be at the centre of a bold and brilliant new title, with all of TCR’s trademark visual flair and quality.
Skills & Requirements
Within this role you will:
- Be responsible for production of excellent quality high polygon models
- Transfer high poly models to low in game meshes adhering to specified budgets
- Creation of high quality in-game assets for a PBR pipeline
- Troubleshooting character art issues from a creative and technical standpoint
- Working closely with the rigging and animation team to ensure your models work well in motion
- Collaborate with the concept team by highlighting and providing solutions to any design problems before the modelling stage
We will need you to have:
- A professional and collaborative attitude, with the ability to work well in a team
- A good understanding of anatomy
- Demonstrable experience of game development cycles on console, PC and/or mobile
- Excellent knowledge of at least one major 3D package (Max or Maya).
- Outstanding organisational and communication skills
- Commercial knowledge of Zbrush, Substance Painter and real-time shaders.
- Ability to work in a variety of styles
We'd also ideally like you to have (although it’s not a deal breaker):
- Previous UE4/Unity experience
- Hard surface modelling experience
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
Please apply via our website job listing
For a confidential chat about this role please call our Recruiter Hannah Burton on +44 (0)114 2426766 or email email@example.com
About the Company
The Chinese Room have established a reputation as one of the most creative and exciting studios in the UK. We’re very proud to be seen internationally as pioneers of storytelling with a flair for creating atmospheric, rich and imaginative games. Our titles include the groundbreaking Dear Esther (2012), cult horror Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs (2013), the VR fairy-tale So Let Us Melt (2017) and the open-world adventure Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture (2015), a Playstation 4 exclusive that won major awards across the world. This included an amazing 10 BAFTA nominations and 3 BAFTA wins.
In 2018, we joined the Sumo Digital family of studios. This new home will see us bring our passion and commitment to creating exciting original games within a network of studios renowned for quality and expertise. It enables us to expand and grow in ambition and confidence, taking our reputation for storytelling into new genres. We’ve already started work on one new title and are in discussions about a significant AAA project.
We’re looking for a very special team of developers, who can combine technical expertise with flair, creativity and the hunger to make world-class games. We’re very proud of our track record in diversity and particularly welcome applications from all corners of the industry to ensure this continues into the next chapter of the studio’s story. The Chinese Room was built on passion, on finding amazing people and letting them shine. If this sounds like somewhere you’d like to make games, then we’d love to hear from you.
What we offer:
As part of the Sumo Digital family, we’re able to offer a super benefits package including generous holidays, flexitime and excellent employee benefits. Further perks include our legendary annual Sumo Big Day Out, plus epic Christmas parties, money on your birthday and free fruit for everyone! Our new, regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - staff spend a full day developing and pitching their own game ideas for possible development by Sumo (this led to the recently released Snake Pass, so it’s a genuine commitment to allowing staff to pitch ideas upwards to the highest levels).
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We’re in the amazing position of building a brand new team, and creating a studio culture that’s all about passion, respect, diversity, fun and togetherness. We’re looking for people that love what they do and love to share their enthusiasm with each other.
We’re located in Brighton, the best city in the south of England and not just a home to an amazingly vibrant game development scene, but a cultural hotspot with fantastic food, arts, music, shopping and sports. The studio is directly opposite a gorgeous park and we’re only a shot hop from the city centre, the beach, and the South Downs National Park. Gatwick Airport is half an hour away from train, and you can be in central London in just over an hour. It’s an easy place to love!