Art Director - SUMO SHEFFIELD
As the Art Director, you will take the helm leading on all art aspects from the design and development of artwork to the general management and supervision over environment, character, visual effects and animation. You will have several key relationships across the studio, working in conjunction with the Head of Art and Design Leads to set and lead the quality standards for a game, with profound knowledge of techniques and technical limitation requirements.
You will undoubtedly be a confident art leader unafraid to be an advocate for the art team with the ability to have a holistic approach on how art impacts the gaming development lifecycle. With a passion for excellence you will drive high standards, mentor and support team members and push for creative collaboration across both the Art department and other disciplines.
Skills & Requirements
Within this role you will:
- Manage art teams to establish language and vision for each project.
- Take an active role in planning of projects and project pitches.
- Ensure art teams have the proper techniques and tools to deliver top quality art on a project.
- Motivate and inspire the art team ensuring they keep the artistic style and mood consistent with defined visual style.
- Mentor and provide strong career guidance to art staff.
- Drive innovation, establish art staff best practices and methods.
We need you to have:
- A number of years working in game development as Senior member of an Art Department with a minimum of 3 shipped titles under your belt.
- Solid commercial knowledge of current game art production pipelines and workflows.
- Excellent knowledge of all the latest games that are in direct competition with the products that are being developed at the studio. This is to ensure quality level of art is maintained.
- A deep understanding of a variety of art 2D and 3D software packages, knowledge of engine and tool sets required to generate assets.
- Outstanding technical understanding of colour theory, composition and staging techniques.
You will also need to demonstrate that you can:
- Produce finished art of an exceptional quality
- Work to develop solutions for any issues that may arise
- Effectively work with limited guidance and take initiative
- Manage large and diverse teams, supporting all levels of the department
- Keep abreast of upcoming innovations in the industry and identify how we can continue to progress the department
- Define and maintain art production pipelines for efficiency and state of the art assets
- Clearly and effectively communicate with all levels of the business
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
Please apply via our website job listing
For a confidential chat about this role please call our Recruiter Hannah Burton on +44 (0)114 2426766 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
About the Company
Sumo Digital is one of the UK's most prolific and secure independent game developers with a talented team spread across four UK Studios; Sheffield, Nottingham, Newcastle and The Chinese Room in Brighton, along with our India studio in Pune. It’s an exciting time to be part of Sumo; we are growing across all our studios to support a very bright and busy future.
We have a host of well known partners that we work with including Microsoft, Sega, Sony, Disney and many more. Working alongside them our previous successes include Forza Horizon 2 (Xbox 360), LittleBigPlanet 3 (PlayStation 4, and PlayStation 3), Disney Infinity 3.0 Toy Box Speedway (multi-platform), and our first self-published title Snake Pass (multi-platform).
Looking down the road we have several exciting but unannounced projects that we are working on (all very hush hush!), but we can share that we are incredibly proud to be working on the highly anticipated Crackdown 3 (Xbox One), Dead Island 2 (multi-platform), Project Nova (PC) and Team Sonic Racing (multi-platform).
Here at Sumo we are planning for big things. Don’t miss out. Join us.