Senior Animator - THE CHINESE ROOM, BRIGHTON
The Chinese Room are looking for a talented and experienced Senior Animator, who is skilled in a broad range of animation styles and capable of creating dynamic and compelling animation (including hand-keyed and/or motion capture based) as required by the project. We are looking for someone who understands game animation production and its idiosyncrasies. That person ideally would be an established Senior but we would also consider someone with the right skills who is looking to advance their career and transition into that role. The ideal candidate will enjoy being involved in a friendly, hard working environment and be able to communicate well within the art team as well as with other development disciplines.
The successful candidate will report to the Art Director but must be able to take responsibility for managing their own work and schedules.
The Chinese Room has a wide variety of projects in development and for an Animator that means working on something that could vary in style from stylized to realistic and any point in between. We require someone who is flexible in both talent and mindset. Experience working from console to mobile would be an advantage.
Skills & Requirements
Within this role you will:
- Have responsibility for the production of high quality hand keyed animation
- Work with and understand Motion Capture data
- Be able to adapt to a variety of styles as the project demands
- Exhibit a strong understanding of the fundamental principles of animation
- Perform research and reference gathering to acquire the necessary knowledge to perform assigned animation tasks
- Meet production schedules and deadlines
- Assist in Lead responsibilities such as mentoring, scheduling and R&D into new features
- Contribute to the conceptualization of character behaviours and abilities
- Provide detailed input during the character creation process, from concept to modelling to final rigging, identifying character performance and functionality requirements
- Communicate effectively with peers
- Demonstrate an understanding of the pipelines and procedures within the project/company
- Able to direct MoCap talent during character rehearsal and motion capture shoots
We need you to have:
- Industry Experience: 5+ years experience.
- Thorough understanding of animation fundamentals for human and non-human characters.
- Understanding of Character creation process from concept, to modelling and final rigging.
- Demonstrable experience in creating animation of a high standard while maintaining visual and functional specifications for game mechanics.
- Excellent knowledge or at least one major 3d package (ie Maya or 3DSMax).
- Basic knowledge of Maya and Max essential.
- Good understanding of the game development process.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
We'd also ideally like you to have (although its not a deal breaker):
- Game engine experience (UE/Unity ideally).
- Interest in playing games and current technical trends in the medium.
- If you have worked on first person games as an animator would be beneficial but not essential.
- If you have experience in using MoCap hardware and software although not essential
- Experience in motion builder a plus
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
Please apply via our website job listing
For a confidential chat about this role please call our Recruiter Hannah Burton on +44 (0)114 2426766 or email email@example.com
About the Company
The Chinese Room have established a reputation as one of the most creative and exciting studios in the UK. We’re very proud to be seen internationally as pioneers of storytelling with a flair for creating atmospheric, rich and imaginative games. Our titles include the groundbreaking Dear Esther (2012), cult horror Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs (2013), the VR fairy-tale So Let Us Melt (2017) and the open-world adventure Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture (2015), a Playstation 4 exclusive that won major awards across the world. This included an amazing 10 BAFTA nominations and 3 BAFTA wins.
In 2018, we joined the Sumo Digital family of studios. This new home will see us bring our passion and commitment to creating exciting original games within a network of studios renowned for quality and expertise. It enables us to expand and grow in ambition and confidence, taking our reputation for storytelling into new genres. We’ve already started work on one new title and are in discussions about a significant AAA project.
We’re looking for a very special team of developers, who can combine technical expertise with flair, creativity and the hunger to make world-class games. We’re very proud of our track record in diversity and particularly welcome applications from all corners of the industry to ensure this continues into the next chapter of the studio’s story. The Chinese Room was built on passion, on finding amazing people and letting them shine. If this sounds like somewhere you’d like to make games, then we’d love to hear from you.
What we offer:
As part of the Sumo Digital family, we’re able to offer a super benefits package including generous holidays, flexitime and excellent employee benefits. Further perks include our legendary annual Sumo Big Day Out, plus epic Christmas parties, money on your birthday and free fruit for everyone! Our new, regular studio Game Jams are a highlight - staff spend a full day developing and pitching their own game ideas for possible development by Sumo (this led to the recently released Snake Pass, so it’s a genuine commitment to allowing staff to pitch ideas upwards to the highest levels).
Our environment is relaxed, friendly and built upon the basis of every team member having the opportunity to shine and have a realisable input into the games we create. We’re in the amazing position of building a brand new team, and creating a studio culture that’s all about passion, respect, diversity, fun and togetherness. We’re looking for people that love what they do and love to share their enthusiasm with each other.
We’re located in Brighton, the best city in the south of England and not just a home to an amazingly vibrant game development scene, but a cultural hotspot with fantastic food, arts, music, shopping and sports. The studio is directly opposite a gorgeous park and we’re only a shot hop from the city centre, the beach, and the South Downs National Park. Gatwick Airport is half an hour away from train, and you can be in central London in just over an hour. It’s an easy place to love!