Rebellion Oxford is seeking an experienced, talented and enthusiastic hands-on Lead Artist to lead the Art team on one of our exciting new projects.
This is a truly exciting opportunity to have huge creative influence over forthcoming game titles.
In addition to demonstrating strong aesthetic flare and vision, the successful candidate will also need to work closely with the development team, ensuring that artwork is supporting the design process, is technically compliant and is respecting the project’s schedules.
Want to know what it is like in the Rebellion Art team?
The Lead Artist will guide a dedicated team of environment artists as well as having access to many more artists with other specialist skills and knowledge at Rebellion.
This role is full-time based in-house at our Oxford studio. We are open to both permanent or fixed-term employment but not freelance, agencies or remote working. You must be able to legally work in the UK.
You will need at least 3 years’ games industry art experience is required including 1 year in a senior or lead role. Having completed a full production cycle on a published game title would be a bonus. Please include a link to your portfolio of examples demonstrating outstanding visual and technical ability.
Your responsibilities would include:
- Overall responsibility for all artwork required on a specific Rebellion game project
- Hands-on contribution to artwork
- Inspire and motivate the art team to achieve their best, driving artistic quality by example and successful team work, giving feedback and direction where needed
- Work closely with other disciplines of the development team to overcome issues and produce the best game titles
- Plan and structure tasks with efficiency
- Understand and work within project requirements and constraints
- Keep up to date with game artwork trends and influences
Skills & Requirements
- Excellent artistic ability and direction, with strong and responsible leadership
- Highly experienced and knowledgeable in Photoshop and a 3d package such as 3dsMax or Maya
- Excellent understanding of all art aspects required for 3d games, including environments, characters, 2D/GUI and animation
- Good understanding of the game development process as a whole, including technical limitations and opportunities
- Ability to take the initiative, be highly disciplined and self-motivated
- Collaborate productively within a multi-disciplined team environment, including designers and coders, communicating with both technical and non-technical staff across disciplines
- Knowledge of other software such as ZBrush, After Effects, Illustrator, Video editing etc is a bonus
- Additional knowledge of traditional arts, photography, sculpting etc may further support your application
- Proven ability of working to a PBR pipeline using software such as Substance or Quixel. Ideally supplemented with photogrammetry experience
- A genuine interest in playing games
- Relocation assistance is offered
How to Apply
Please apply through this link:
About the Company
Rebellion are one of Europe's largest independent game developers working on great games, including some of the top franchises in the world, for top publishers and on a range of formats covering Xbox One, Xbox 360, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3, Wii, Facebook, PC, iOS, Android, Windows Phone and Oculus Rift.
We have studios in Oxford and Liverpool (Runcorn) in the United Kingdom, and also publish the legendary 2000AD comic featuring Judge Dredd, Rogue Trooper, Strontium Dog, ABC Warriors and many more characters.
- Holidays: 25 days paid annual leave plus all bank holidays (33 days total)
- Hours: flexible start and finish times
- Pension: contributory pension scheme where company matches 3%, salary sacrifice so saves on tax & NI
- Cycle Scheme: spread bike payments over 12 months, salary sacrifice so saves on tax & NI
- Childcare Vouchers: for nurseries, holiday care and after school clubs, salary sacrifice so saves on tax & NI
- Eye Test Vouchers: free eye tests and additional discounts on glasses/contact lenses
- Introduction Bonus: £1k for internal staff referrals that lead to hires
- Free Stuff: Rebellion Steam titles, GDC Vault access, digital 2000AD/Solaris/Abaddon/Ravenstone copies, game and film library
- Discounts: 50% off most 2000AD merchandise, discounted membership at The Athlete Centre gym 200 metres from Oxford studio
- Culture: friendly, creative and relaxed working atmosphere, with sensibly managed projects and recognition of the importance of work-life balance
- Social: annual company events (Summer BBQ & Christmas Party), various ad-hoc events and out-of-hours social groups such as photography, board games, football, baking, etc
- Oxford Location: local pub, M&S and Waitrose, 10 minute walk to train station and 20 minute walk to city centre